X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Justin Ducking Asafa?

Asafa says yes.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/athletics/5207656.stm

Justin has been surprisingly silent on the matter. Beginning to think this race may not take place this year and that will certainly discount the payday the two are expecting.

No, Gatlin:s injury is worse than first believed according to published reports.

Comment

well, this is a new topic.

I think he was ducking asafa, but thanks to 3 100m heats in 1 day, he is now legitmately injured(okay maybe just legitly "hurt"), so i wouldn't consider that ducking. but come on, PRE!, gateshead, etc....he was ducking earlier, and now his and probably asafa's bank accounts suffer a bit(okay, i know nothing about how their bottom lines will be affected, but am assuming that gatlin missed some paydays by not racing asafa, i guess skeets is one of those high risk--high reward types, i mean come on isnt that the definition of choosing the NFL over other pro sports and if that kind of thinking works for gatlin i guess he is happy with the situation, i wonder how the strategy would have paid off for a healthy gatlin)

Comment

Epelle,

Do you have a recent report (article) on his injury? What exactly is the problem?

Comment

Their friendship, according to Dagens Nyheter, is suffering from this lack of one-on-one:s this season. Powell apparently still deep down inside considers Gatlin a friend, but after this season:s duck-and-runs, that friendship has been tested.

Comment

Friends don't let friends compete injured.

Comment

Originally posted by ALLSpeed
              Epelle,

Do you have a recent report (article) on his injury? What exactly is the problem?
              "Justin ran three times at the US Nationals in Indianapolis in one day and his tendon behind his knee flared-up," said Gatlin's manager, Renaldo Nehemiah. "He told me that he could not run. This precaution is necessary to avoid aggravating the problem for the rest of the season. He will not run until the end of July. Justin is disappointed. This is the second meeting from which he has pulled out. Rest is now the most important thing. He has now stopped training."

http://www.iaaf.org/GP06/news/Kind=2/newsId=35255.html

Comment

Originally posted by tafnut
                Friends don't let friends compete injured.
                yeah, but what about gateshead, i'm sure what they were going to pay would be better than NOTHING at all....

of course if agents could predict the future things would be much different. oh well, heres hoping that asafa goes out and smashes the WR!

Comment

Originally posted by skyin' brian
                  heres hoping that asafa goes out and smashes the WR!
                  That would be great for T&F and the rivalry and BOTH of their bank accounts, if and when they DO meet.

Comment

Hey acgibson, this is your AZ St. Sun Devil buddy. I predicted this would happen, they would duck each other for a while attempting to raise interest and generate more dollars to see them compete and as I expected others are beginning to elevate their performance both in the 100 and in other events. Because of the high level of performances and competition there are other interesting matchups occurring that have the track world anticipating each and every meet. You know, you get bored with all of the hype with no action and that's what has happened over the past two seasons with Justin and Asafa. Who knows, by the time they actually meet which appears to be next year at the earliest there will probably be others out performing them. Tyson is up and coming and who knows what Xavier has in him. Asafa and Justin could have very well missed their maximum payday.

Comment

Originally posted by halimwash
                      Hey acgibson, this is your AZ St. Sun Devil buddy. I predicted this would happen, they would duck each other for a while attempting to raise interest and generate more dollars to see them compete and as I expected others are beginning to elevate their performance both in the 100 and in other events. Because of the high level of performances and competition there are other interesting matchups occurring that have the track world anticipating each and every meet. You know, you get bored with all of the hype with no action and that's what has happened over the past two seasons with Justin and Asafa. Who knows, by the time they actually meet which appears to be next year at the earliest there will probably be others out performing them. Tyson is up and coming and who knows what Xavier has in him. Asafa and Justin could have very well missed their maximum payday.
                      I dunno,

Asafa aint hurting. While Gat is on the sidelines, Asafa is making hay while the sun shines.

All this talk about X and Gay, but Asafa and Gat keep getting better each year. They will be 26 or less in 2008, so they will be at their physical peak. Barring injury, I cant see them being overtaken.

Comment

Gatlin is injured, period. Last year, was Powell "ducking" Gatlin? No, he was injured. I don't recall Gatlin accusing Powell of ducking him last year. Of course, Powell wants to race Gatlin when he (Powell) is healthy and Gatlin is not. His accusing Gatlin of ducking him is a cheap, hypocritical shot, in my view. Powell is the one who finished 5th in the Oly final and couldn't toe the line in the Worlds last year. Powell is the one who lost to Gatlin in Eugene last year and ran the slower race in Eugene this year when they ran in separate races. So naturally he wants to goad Gatlin into racing when not 100%. The competitive record is all in Gatlin's favor.

I don't know what will happen when they meet, but I hope they are both at their best.
                        Cheers,
                        Alan Shank

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Shank
                          Gatlin is injured, period. Last year, was Powell "ducking" Gatlin? No, he was injured. I don't recall Gatlin accusing Powell of ducking him last year. Of course, Powell wants to race Gatlin when he (Powell) is healthy and Gatlin is not. His accusing Gatlin of ducking him is a cheap, hypocritical shot, in my view. Powell is the one who finished 5th in the Oly final and couldn't toe the line in the Worlds last year. Powell is the one who lost to Gatlin in Eugene last year and ran the slower race in Eugene this year when they ran in separate races. So naturally he wants to goad Gatlin into racing when not 100%. The competitive record is all in Gatlin's favor.

I don't know what will happen when they meet, but I hope they are both at their best.
                          Cheers,
                          Alan Shank
                          Gateshead

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Shank

Cheers,
                            Alan Shank
                            Not so fast. The record head to head in 2004 was 3-1 in AP's favour and Pre last year was another story I wont rehash. I am sure you saw the foto at the tape!!!

Gat ducked him at Gateshead and Pre this year...no question and BOTH were healthy then.

Gatlin also made snide remarks last year in addition to gentlemanly one and Asafa was quoted rehashing them about 2 months ago. Asafa is doing exactly what Gat did last year. Recall that Gat was smarting from the WR that Asafa set.

Comment

Don't make me have to put Skeets in the same vein as Drew Rosenhaus!!!!!!!

Just kiddin'!!!!!! Hey, if Gat's hurt, rest it! Don't be stupid!

Comment

Working...
                              X