X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is a "Precison Javelin" throw?

For the DN Galan meet, July 25 at Stockholm,

http://www.dngalan.com/_nyhetsbrev/timeschedule2006.pdf

shows a regular javelin event at 1855, but later (at 2040) the "Precision Javelin" throw.

Is that an accuracy throwing contest (winner = closest to target's center bullseye)? If so, how big is the target -- and how far is it from the throwing release point?

It's JARTS !!!

Comment

Jarts - one of the greatest games ever

But the Precision Javelin - I was at the DN Galan meet a few yeasr ago and from what I recall they take the top 4 or so from the reg Jav and they try to hit a target(i think it is diamond shaped maybe the size of a mens HH) about 50 - 60 meters away. Each thrower gets 1 throw and who ever hits the target wins a diamond. It was fun at the end of the night to watch.

Another unique aspect of the DN Galan meet was how they worked the payday of the mens 5000. There was a publish prize for 1-2-3. But they also gave increasing bonus for who was leading at 4 laps to go, 3 to go, 2 to go and 1 go go. With a small pack entering the last 1600 together the racing became crazy as runners would sprint for the bonus but then the pace would keep picking up. In the end I think it was Sammy Kipketer who got 2nd but won more money than the winner becasue he kept winning the lap bonus - that plus his 2nd place prize money made him the big winner of the night. All through the last mile the announcer would get the crowd worked up over the money that was available.

A few years before that at the Oslo GP at the start of the meet they had the Norway National Snowball throwing champs - kids and adults throwing softball size snowballs 80+ meters - fun stuff

Comment

Originally posted by jnepolitan
        A few years before that at the Oslo GP at the start of the meet they had the Norway National Snowball throwing champs - kids and adults throwing softball size snowballs 80+ meters - fun stuff
        I think they have this every year at Bislett. Here's the 2006 results:

http://www.bislettgames.com/Results2006/re4880040.html

Comment

Hey if Brad Pitt can do in Troy it should be no problem for these guys.

Comment

I don't remember any snowball scenes in "Troy"... but then I didn't sit through the whole flick...

Comment

Originally posted by AS
              I don't remember any snowball scenes in "Troy"... but then I didn't sit through the whole flick...
              I was thinkijng of the precesion javalin when he knocked the guy right off the horse.

Comment

Gee, that Brad is a talented lad. He also won Commonwealth Games boxing gold:

Australia's leading source of information and entertainment

Comment

Working...
                X