Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's next for Maria Mutola

In the last meet on ESPN.
    One of the announcers stated Maria Mutola, has done just about everything in the 800, but break the work record. Does anyone think, the media is going to try and set up Maria Mutola to think she should start trainning specificly for the world record?

Re: What's next for Maria Mutola

I think she should break the 800m record and then move up to the 1500m. She's strong enough to run some great times at 1500m, the event could use a shot in the arm.

Comment

Interesting turn of phrase, since "shot in the arm" is probably what propelled all the recent WR setters in the women's 1500.

Comment

They don't shoot in the arm.
        Don't the distance runners the use, use EPO...
        as does most of the world class bike riders?

Comment

I think she should break the 800m record<<

When was the last time anyone ran sub 1:54?

Sub 1:55?

The 800 record would be very, very hard to beak by a clean athlete...

Comment

There have only been 2 sub-1:54 clockings, the last being the 1:53.28 WR in 83 which broke the 1:53.43 WR from Moscow. The last sub 1:55 was Quirot's 1:54.82 to beat Mutola (1:55.29) in 97. Quirot's PR is 1:54.44 from 89. Kratochvilova, aside from her WR, had only one other sub 1:55, a 1;54.68 to win the initial WC in Helsinki 83.

Comment

Mutola will lose next year

Comment

Yeah I am sure she will, probably to a male at a training camp somewhere....

Comment

nah Big Mac just watch and see

Comment

I think it will be very hard to beat Maria.. but if she is beat, it will be by that young lady that took 2nd at the worlds in the 1500 meters... she wanted to race Maria at the World Finals.. but they wanted her to run the 1500 again.. so I think she may have something for Maria.. we will see.
                    It doesn't matter if she beats her at a local meet.. it only matters if the 1500 meter runner can beat her at the Olympics.

Comment

I don't think any of todays crop of half milers have what is necessary to beat Mutola.... Speed!!

The last individual with those credentials Quirot.

Once she races to win and is not concerned about a fast time she will always beat the current crop easily.

Probably if Ana Guevara trained for the event...maybe then we might have a race.

Comment

I really don't think Ana G. has what it will take to beat Maria.... I think Maria could break 50. in the 400... and then Ana would have something to worry about.. Mutola is just way to strong...
                        Maria has rolled out a great time in the 1000 meters I think the only thing that is missing from Maria's list is a Great 400 meter time..
                        Now that is what I want to see Maria run.

Comment

You are forgetting that Ana G is a converted half miler.

At her current level do you really believe a 58s first lap or 57s first lap will cause her any discomfort.

Think again.

Comment

Yeah but 58, or 57 is nothing to maria who can at will run 55 for the first lap and might be able to follow it with a 59 if pushed...
                            I think if Ana tried running 57. she would only be able to follow that with a 61-62 she has no chance. Maria is the MAN. just kidding.

Comment

I keep reading these insinuations about Ana on various boards. There is no truth to the suggestion that women shouldn't have an "adams apple"

Granted, hers is significant.

Comment

Working...
                              X