Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why doesn't Asafa...........

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Why doesn't Asafa...........

    run some competitive 200ms? He has a 19.90 to his credit and all the action is in the 200 at the moment. Come on Asafa, take a risk.

  • #2
    He has, and he will again. He is at the mercy (and wisdom) of his coach. Read some of the archived news stories on Powell on this site.

    Comment


    • #3
      What race qualifies as such? I'm talking about jumping into the mix of Gay and X at 200m. He crushes the current cast of 100m guys without running the last 10 meters.

      Until Justin returns, why not showcase his true talent.

      Comment


      • #4
        I wish

        I wish he would. Then that might bring Justin back out for that event -- and he could beat Powell there, too.

        I still say the WR in the 200 is Justin's for the taking, if he wants it.

        Comment


        • #5
          gatlen and powell are looking at 2007 and 2008 for 200 meters...

          still, if you look at 200 meters, there's a ton of competition, while 100 is basically a 2 man race

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: I wish

            Originally posted by BillVol
            I wish he would. Then that might bring Justin back out for that event -- and he could beat Powell there, too.

            I still say the WR in the 200 is Justin's for the taking, if he wants it.
            If it were the 19.63 it 'should be' (no aspersions, I just think the 19,32 is totally anomalous, even for MJ), I'd agree, but MJ's mark is TOO far out there. It's not 'fair' for JG (or anyone) to have to chase that mark - for the foreseeable future. (But then again, who thought 8.90 would fall in 23 'short' years?)

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: I wish

              Originally posted by tafnut
              But then again, who thought 8.90 would fall in 23 'short' years?)
              A lot of us thought it would fall around the 14th year. More surprising that it actually lasted all of 23.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Why doesn't Asafa...........

                Originally posted by ALLSpeed
                run some competitive 200ms? He has a 19.90 to his credit and all the action is in the 200 at the moment. Come on Asafa, take a risk.
                Because the meet promoters probably won't pay him as much. The 100 sells more tickets than the 200, and that's usually the bottom line.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Why doesn't Asafa...........

                  Originally posted by gh
                  Originally posted by ALLSpeed
                  run some competitive 200ms? He has a 19.90 to his credit and all the action is in the 200 at the moment. Come on Asafa, take a risk.
                  Because the meet promoters probably won't pay him as much. The 100 sells more tickets than the 200, and that's usually the bottom line.
                  This is normally true. But it seems to me that most fans would more interested in seeing AP mixing it up in the 200 with Gay, Spearmon, and the X-man than in seeing him winning another fast 100 with no serious competition.

                  Problem is, though, that Powell would probably want at least the same appearance fee for that 200 as he normally gets for the 100. And I wouldn't be surprised if that's more than those 200m guys get. But of course if they were in the same race, the 200m guys would reasonably want to be paid at least as much as Powell. That could make the whole thing unaffordable.

                  All of the above is speculation, of course. I have no knowledge at all of what any of these guys get paid other than published prize money.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Why doesn't Asafa...........

                    Originally posted by tandfman
                    This is normally true. But it seems to me that most fans would more interested in seeing AP mixing it up in the 200 with Gay, Spearmon, and the X-man than in seeing him winning another fast 100 with no serious competition.
                    I sure would. Be a great race.

                    Asafa has yet to prove himself in a big race. Great talent, yet not a champion. He has all the tools to beat these guys except perhaps guts.

                    Bekele was willing to take a chance in the 1500 and came out victorious. Adds to his greatness.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X