Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tafnut
    While it makes perfect logic for underclassmen to continue on, once a senior has completed his/her college eligibility AND the NCAA meet is over AND the athlete has 'gone pro', then it's an arbitrary decision to continue to regard him/her a collegian, but . . . I'm a big fan of the Sept 1 cut-off, because he/she is simply continuing the season. The only part missing is that the Berlin GL meet, the WAF Final, and the World Cup are IN September, so why wouldn't someone's mark there count? I'd carry it till the end of the outdoor season (Oct 1?).
    What I have done over the years is to use the Sept 1 cutoff and carry additional marks after that only if the kid was on a national team representing his/her country in an international type meet, such as Olympics, WC, Pan-Ams, etc., etc. There are many examples, such as World Cup 1981, 68 Olympics, etc. I figured it would be silly to exclude those marks just because the meet happened to fall on Sept. 5. But these were the only exceptions.

I also understand your point about turning pro right after the senior season and I have tried to incorporate this in my own personal lists, but not my published lists in the book. But here is the big problem. What do you do about the kid who turns pro after his soph season? Clement is a good recent example. Do you then exclude those marks during the summer using the same basic logic? This makes the drawing of the line somewhat difficult. The whole thing is a mess and I think GH has probably done the best job with this by carrying "in-season" and also "out-of season" marks. He and I just disagree on what constitutes "in-season." But that's OK; we still drink a lot of beer together!

Comment

Originally posted by SDavis
      What do you do about the kid who turns pro after his soph season? Clement is a good recent example. Do you then exclude those marks during the summer using the same basic logic?
      As the line between collegian and pro gets more and more blurred, I think we're going to be faced with the prospect of no longer having to make the distinction. Everyone will be the same - all the way down to high school.

Comment

Originally posted by SDavis
        But that's OK; we still drink a lot of beer together!
        A lot? You're in 3rd place at best! :lol:

(What happened to my smiley face?)

Comment

Your smiley face feature was erased by the #1 guy on that list.

Comment

Working...
          X