Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• paritally torn hamstring for 100m sprinter

I've been informed that I have a partially torn left hamstring in which the tendon has ripped from the bone and pulled away 2cm. A majority of the biceps femoris has been torn. I did it 30-40m into a 100m race at the end of may.

Does anyone have any experience with this type of injury? Does anyone who works at all in the medical field (or anyone at all) know if this is career threatening, or what I can do to recover? Any information is greatly appreciated.

there's a poster here who has a similar injury . . .his name is . . . it's on the tip of my tongue . . . doh, lost it!

Comment

I wouldn't follow any advice from a message board. Listen to your orthopedic surgeon. If you don't like his advice, get a second opinion from another orthopedist.
      Just a curiosity. Is it ripped at the pelvic or knee level?
      "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
      by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

The biceps femoris portion of the hamstring tendon is partially torn from the ischial tuberosity. So more from the pelvic region, or hip if you prefer that explanation.

The reason I'm posting on here is because I want to know if anybody else has had this kind of issue but bounced back with no real lingering issues. Doctors are really not the helpful with that kind of explaination. Plus I don't see the doc till wed. and its on my mind a lot.

I do plan on getting a seond opinion, or a third even just to cover all my bases.

Comment

Originally posted by tafnut
          there's a poster here who has a similar injury . . .his name is . . . it's on the tip of my tongue . . . doh, lost it!
          Funny, I can’t remember either.

Bluequiet,

Based on your description it does sound like an orthopedic surgeon’s job. Hopefully you get one with some good sports experience. If you have any pro or college teams nearby there should be some.

Ditto with physical therapists, who will become your bestest friends, whether you have surgery or not.

Don’t get discouraged – most hamstring injuries are fixable, with time and good treatment. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by bad hammy
            Don’t get discouraged – most hamstring injuries are fixable, with time and good treatment. Good luck!
            Um . . . haven't you been 'bad hammy' for several years now?

Comment

Most are fixable - not all. Mine went from ‘significantly affecting walking and everyday life for close to a year’ to ‘can’t run on it’. Major improvement – I can live with that. Much rarer than the average athletic hamstring problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Pego
                I wouldn't follow any advice from a message board.
                ESPECIALLY from these guys.

Comment

Originally posted by MJD
                  I stand by my advice - it is sound.

But you are generally right - this is a bad place to get medical, financial, career, marriage or real estate advice.

Comment

Originally posted by MJD
                    I stand by my advice - it is sound.

But you are generally right - this is a bad place to get medical, financial, career, marriage or real estate advice.

NOW
                    you tell me!

Comment

your orthopedic md will certainly recommend an orthopedic surgeon that specializes in sports related injuries. Unless you are in centrcal Wyoming or North Dakota you should be able to get the knowlegeable analysis you need...

paulthefan (I am not a Medical Doctor but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn last night)
                      ... nothing really ever changes my friend, new lines for old, new lines for old.

Comment

[quote=bad hammy]
                        Originally posted by "bad hammy":u24enumh
                        Most are fixable - not all. Mine went from ‘significantly affecting walking and everyday life for close to a year’ to ‘can’t run on it’. Major improvement – I can live with that. Much rarer than the average athletic hamstring problem.[/quote:u24enumh]

Bluequiet is a young sprinter, not an old fart like some people with bad hammies I know :-).
                        "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                        by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Bluequiet is a young sprinter, not an old fart like some people with bad hammies I know :-).
                          Hey, I resemble that remark!

Comment

Working...
                          X