Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sub 43- 400m

Michael Johnson should have been the first and only Sub 43 400m.

Take 19.32 x 2 = 38.64 + 4= 42.64

I think he could have did this in 1996
    he just jogged (43.49) the 400 that year because he still had the 200 and 4x4 to go.

Re: Sub 43- 400m

Interesting formula there. So by this--two times 200 best plus 4--I can divine that Maurice Greene (19.86) is really a 43.72 guy in the 400. Wow!

Comment

He probably could have done it if he had not had to concentrate on winning all those gold medals. Maybe if the 400m had come second in the 1996 Games and he had won the 200m with a 19.60 or so. or if he had not had that dumb 300m race against Donovan Bailey and had stayed healthy all through 1997.

Comment

>Interesting formula there. So by this--two times
        >200 best plus 4--I can divine that Maurice Greene
        >(19.86) is really a 43.72 guy in the 400. Wow!

Not exactly but the original post is correct. Greene is a 100m/200m man and Johnson is a 200m/400m man.

There are athletes who have achieved that formula described and Johnson should have could have gone sub 43 seconds. The formula is slighty incorrect mathematically.

The way it should be done is divide 400m time by 200m time. By doing this you can see that some athletes had/have better conversion of their 200m speed to 400m.

So why did not Johnson perhaps reach his full potential over 400m - despite being the best in the world. Well hard to see that you can do better when you are in front of anyone else. May never have had the right circumstances to perform to his ultimate potential.

Perhaps his training lacked a little stamina, perhaps he never paced the run perfectly. The 400m is very hard to run, to get the pace just right is much more difficult then 200m or 800m. It is not a 100% sprint but by no means a steady sit and kick type race.

See the French man Raquil Marc finish at World Champs 03. Made up over 1 second over the last 100m to get bronze. Interesting.

Never underestimate what can be done with training. I said Greene was a 100m/200m type but he took that approach from an early age - so always trained towards that end. Same with Johnson. Imagine what can/will happen when someone with the raw speed of Greene decides to run 400m from an early age - sub 43 more than possible - i think it will happen in about 20 years time.

Comment

Usain Bolt will be first under 43.

Comment

No. He will not break any world records.
            why don't people pronounce vowels anymore

Comment

< Imagine what will happen when someone with the raw speed of Greene decides to run 400m from an early age - sub 43 more than possible - i think it will happen in about 20 years time >

Where have you been? 20 years I don't think so. Young Bolt has already run 20.13 and probably could beat Maurice right now over 200m. He is my bet to be the next individual to break the 43 second barrier.

What man can do, man can do.

Comment

I know Usain Bolt, I have spoken to him, but not since two years ago. I am one of his biggest supporters but I do not think he will break those two records. He will be sub 20 and sub 44 if all things go as they should. I just think those two recors are a bit otherworldly to be perfectly honest

Comment

The 200 and 400 records is what I am referring to. The other thing is that people from the worng side of north street ...

Comment

Stop it with the Bolt predictions. Nobody knows where this kid will eventually end up.

Comment

Yes sir.

Comment

< I know Usain Bolt, I have spoken to him, but not since two years ago >

Two years ago is a long time. He must have been about 14+ then. Reports are that the guy has grown 4 to 5 inches in the last two years and the guy is still growing. My point - We are not discussing a normal kid - He is clearly something special. It would be foolish to put any limits on what he might achieve.

Comment

Sounds similar to some of the praise lavished upon Mr. Webb.

Comment

Sorry Ole Timer, we are not talking about just potential. This guy (Bolt) has the 7th fastest 200m time this year and his seasonal best is faster than the world champion in the event (Capel 20.17).

He doesn't even have to improve to be a factor next year.

Does (did) Webb have similar credentials.

Comment

"Two years ago is a long time. He must have been about 14+ then. Reports are that the guy has grown 4 to 5 inches in the last two years and the guy is still growing. My point - We are not discussing a normal kid - He is clearly something special. It would be foolish to put any limits on what he might achieve."

You're right. He has no limits. In fact, he might break 40 seconds for 400 meters and 18 seconds for 200 meters, as well as discover the solution to world peace and find a cure for cancer.

I seem to remember that Obea Moore's potential was seemingly limitless as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X