Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Planning On Beijing In '08? I Suggest....

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Planning On Beijing In '08? I Suggest....

Originally posted by gh
    .... you bring your own air.

Holy shit! The pollution here (my first visit) is reminiscent of pictures of Pittsburgh in the 1950s, where you can't see more than a couple of blocks. The fact that it's 90/90 doesn't help either.

I predict the 10K will run in a time close to the WR. Men running close to women's WR that is!

But the people are wonderful, and there's an incredible sense of vitality to the place.
    The reported temperature is 90 (32C) but the RH at that temperature is only 48%. This implies that the dew point is 20C, or 68F; still high but not the 90/90 type of thing that is so often cited (presumably because at some time in the morning the RH was 90% and some point in the day the temperature was 90 degrees).

If you do not understand what the relationship is don't go making statements about it which are obviously wrong. This is on the order of confusing a meet record with a world record and a much bigger error than not understanding the difference between hand time and FAT.

Comment

This "Planning On Beijing In '08" thread, presumably of interest to those buying into T&FN tour, started with "The pollution here (my first visit) is reminiscent of pictures of Pittsburgh in the 1950s, where you can't see more than a couple of blocks."

And then, similar to the old "Can You Top This" show, the thread has drawn replies such as "I was in Beijing about 5 weeks ago and I can couch [vouch?] for experiencing the thickest, brownest skies I've seen in any city in the world."

For some balance, I offer a few thoughts, based (like GH) on my journalist travels:

1. Johannesburg and Los Angeles seemed much more afflicted with brown skies than Beijing during my time in each of them. (I was told that Jo'burg source was coal-burning, and LA was vehicle emissions.)

2. If the problem is "smog," often accompanied by heat, Shanghai seemed worse than further-north Beijing where impaired vision can be caused by wind bringing summer dust from the Gobi. (Closely-cropped vegetation loosens soil.)

3. Because many of us may be concerned with Beijing weather at the time of 2008 Olympics, remember that China proposed a later date for nice weather in Beijing -- but that proposal was not accepted.

Let's hope that GH is observing and taking notes on other matters for T&FN tour packaging such as food, ground transportation, and hotels -- preferably with potable water.

Comment

This is my second time here and it's (the pollution) no worse than the Valley in LA (where Arcadia and Mt. Sac are). People from LA should do fine here, it's the rest of us who struggle.......................It is the smoke stacks (I was told they turn them off for events like this). Even with the massive growth and all of the tall buildings here now, you can hardly turn your head with out seeing a smoke stack. Still, I've seen LA just as bad or worse. When you get off the plane at the Ontario Airport, there are days that if you didn't know there were mountains there, you wouldn't know there are mountains.

Comment

Hello GH. I trust that you, Mike Kennedy, and perhaps other T&FN staffers will have some time away from WJR for sightseeing and shopping. Re the latter, you can get CDs of Chinese music (both traditional and modern) at the Friendship store and others.

By now you should have visited that portion of Chang-an Avenue which runs East-West between Tiananmen Square on the south and Forbidden City on the north. You may see a huge portrait of Chairman Mao above the entry to Forbidden City, the palace compound of Chinese emperors.

Walk east on Chang-an Avenue about 1200m (or take subway two stops for 3 yuan / about 37 cents) and be on the lookout for a multi-store shopping district that extends north from the avenue for about 500 meters.

There are many good buys and the exchange rate is still advantageous for overseas visitors. I bought a new "Seagull" large-format camera, (Chinese equivalent of Rolleiflex) for about one-tenth the Rollei price.

You may not have gotten a bargain for transportation from Beijing airport to your (presumably downtown) hotel. But by the time you return with a T&FN tour, Beijing will have added to its impressive subway system -- notably a line running from the airport to Dongzhimen station where you can transfer to Lines 2 and 13.

If if you have been eating more Chinese food than you wish, you should find a nice Pizza Hut (with beer) about a mile east of Tiananmen Square. Ask any of the younger generation; they would love to practice their English with you while refining the directions above.

Comment

Buy airline tickets now for Beijing Olympics

The "window" is now open for ticketing airline travel to Beijing for 2008 Olympic Games.

This morning I got my ticketing done and encountered a limited availability of flight itineraries as compared with my previous three trips to China. The Games have probably increased demand and booking for related flights next August.

Those planning to attend the 2008 OG should probably seek ticketing today if they have not already done so. (Persons signed up for T&FN tours were sent an earlier alert.)

Comment

Huge blocs of air have been pre-blocked; situation there not likely to get any better than it is now.

Comment

Meals in Beijing

The T&FN website's "front page" currently includes a link to an ABC news story, with Hooters headline; but it's the sub-head that got my attention:

China's Olympic Preparations Include Western-Style Restaurants for Tourists

"Western-style" food in China is old news. When I was in Beijing with a team of journalists in 2001, shortly after the mid-air collision of Chinese and USA military planes, we could easily eschew Chinese food via Pizza Hut and the ubiquitous McDonald's.

However, for a sumptuous supper at modest price we liked the buffet available at good hotels -- even if we were not registered guests there. The menus had lots of "Western-style" food.

Also of note: much of the Chinese food is tasty and healthy. Whatever your preference, meals during your 2008 Olympic visit should be enjoyable. Our favorite place included live music background from Chinese string instruments, the Erhu and Guizheng.

One caveat: my Beijing experiences have been primarily with the cosmopolitan area inside the "third ring" where everything is easily accessible by subway with its 3 Yuan / 38 cents fare. Because the subway system serves millions of Chinese, I don't expect that modest fare to be raised much during Olympics.

Comment

Re: Meals in Beijing

Originally posted by James Fields
                  "Western-style" food in China is old news. When I was in Beijing with a team of journalists in 2001, shortly after the mid-air collision of Chinese and USA military planes, we could easily eschew Chinese food via Pizza Hut and the ubiquitous McDonald's.
                  There's ain't nothing western about a shrimp, crab and mayo pizza.

http://www.pizzahut.jp/menu/ (I know this is in japan, couldn't find one for china)

I don't see the egg & squid pizza they used to have though.

Comment

Fractured English seen on a menu in Osaka: "rice with chicken ovum"

Not sure I'll be able to eat another egg ever again if they put it that way!

Comment

Food variety

Brief retorts to earlier "Meals In Beijing" post:

Cooter Brown: There's ain't nothing western about a shrimp, crab and mayo pizza.
                      GH: Menu in Osaka: rice with chicken ovum.
                      --------
                      Positive news: Restaurant menus have many choices. Don't let unappealing exceptions discourage your attending Beijing Olympics.

Comment

Re: Planning On Beijing In '08? I Suggest....

Originally posted by gh
                        .... you bring your own air.

Holy shit! The pollution here (my first visit) is reminiscent of pictures of Pittsburgh in the 1950s, where you can't see more than a couple of blocks. The fact that it's 90/90 doesn't help either.

I predict the 10K will run in a time close to the WR. Men running close to women's WR that is!

But the people are wonderful, and there's an incredible sense of vitality to the place.
                        The Filibertos spent two weeks in China with the 11 members of the U.S. Olympic team for a 17-nation test event with competition in both Beijing and Zunyi City, a mountain metropolis in the Gui Zhou Province.

The trip to Zunyi was particularly memorable.

"They described it to us as a mountain village," Chris Filiberto said. "It was a two-hour plane trip and a three-hour bus ride into the mountains, and this little mountain village has 7 million people in it. And the funniest thing was there's 7 million people there that never see Americans, much less blonde-haired, blue-eyed Americans and black Americans, so we were mobbed everywhere we went."
                        Kenenisa Bekele and Meseret Defar, two Ethiopian middle-distance champions, gave the Telegraph a particularly strong description of conditions in Beijing: "disgusting."
                        http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.d ... 002/SPORTS

Comment

The Chinese currency has just reached an all-time high against the US dollar.

http://www.forbes.com/markets/feeds/afx ... 78773.html

OK, it's nothing near the shock of paying $1.50 for a Euro, $2 for a pound, or (horrors!) a real dollar for a loonie, but it's still going in the wrong direction for USAnians planning to be in Beijing next August.

Comment

Nothing about the aforementioned obvious at that link...on the other hand, stock tips from former regular Board poster! (RK)

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                              Nothing about the aforementioned obvious at that link
                              Try it again; if you still get the stock picking stuff, click on the skip-this-crap legend in the upper right.

Comment

Working...
                              X