Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No world records for Bolt, Felix?!

If I read the reports below correctly, both the 200 meter World Junior Records of Usain Bolt (20,13) and Allyson Felix (22,11) have NOT been ratified by the IAAF?
    Bolt because the track of the Pan-Am juniors had not been certified and Felix because there was no drug test at the Mexico Grand Prix...

Supposedly, this was already decided at the IAAF congress in Paris, but I do not remember any reports about it at that time?

Anyway, surprising it is. A small consollation perhaps: Felix is still junior in 2004 - and Bolt even for one more year. So both may get more chances to attack the records...

Regards,
    Wilmar Kortleever

http://www.nationnews.com/StoryView.cfm ... Section=LO
    IAAF: All not well with Bolt record - Thursday 02, October-2003
    by SHERRYLYN CLARKE
    THE FAILURE of the Amateur Athletics Association to get the four-year-old MONDO track at the National Stadium officially
    certified before the Pan American Junior Track and Field Championships might have caused Jamaican sprint sensation Usain
    Bolt the world junior record in the 200 metres.

Under the rules of the International Association of Athletics Federation (IAAF) governing the staging of meets, the track must
    be checked by an official surveyor, and this can cost almost $25 000. His role is to provide documents “attesting to the
    dimensional accuracy of the track, track markings, competition installations and infield in the format approved by the council” of
    the IAAF (Rule 134) to the technical manager before the meet.

At the Pan Am Juniors here in July, Bolt clocked a blistering 20.13 seconds to equal the world junior mark in the 200m set by
    American Roy Bailey in 1985. However, a check with Amadeo Francis, area representative for the North American, Central
    American and the Caribbean Athletics Association, said the world record bid was rejected when the council met in Paris
    before the World Championships.

“There were two world records which were made in the Central American and Caribbean area which did not qualify because
    one – the track was not certified and Mr [Steve] Edwards knew about that before and either Mr Edwards or the National
    Sports Council just refused to have it done, and another one in Mexico with [American] Allyson Felix (22.11 seconds in the
    200m) where they failed to give the drug test. So those two were put on ice and not ratified,” Francis told NATIONSPORT in
    a telephone interview from Puerto Rico.

“In the case of the world junior record, there was a concern that the organising committee had been advised that in order to be
    an official meet the track had to be certified.

“We had gone ahead in good faith and put quite a bit of money into the competition, over US$100 000 in grants either to the
    organising committee, value in kind, uniforms from our supplier worth $30 000 and grants to the team taking part, a total of
    US$135 000,” Francis said.

“One of the conditions to the meet was not met, which meant that it did not become an official meet. That created a problem,
    because in the lack of it being an official meet, you can’t have an official world record.”

Francis said when the council met on August 18 in Paris, it expressed concern that meet organisers were failing to follow the
    rules and this was doing more harm to the athletes. It also affected the area office.

“In the case of the meet, I got reprimanded because the IAAF had made a sizeable investment and we had a non-sanctioned
    meet. A permit was never issued for the meet and it could not be issued because one of the conditions was the track had to be
    certified. It is a MONDO track, so there is no doubt it could have been certified, it was just a matter of doing it.”

Francis said he subsequently received a copy of a letter from Edwards, who had since submitted documentation to the IAAF,
    but did not know whether the body would change its position.

Edwards, who is the president of the AAA, said he spoke to technical officer Benoit Lauriel last week and was told the record
    would be considered at the next IAAF council meeting next month.

“The certification process relating to the track was completed and the results forwarded to the IAAF. The information they
    have obtained is sufficient and the review they have conducted is sufficient for them to actually ratify the record,” Edwards
    added.

No penalties have been imposed on Barbados or the AAA.

[email protected]

http://www.jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/ ... orts1.html
    IAAF blocks Bolt's record
    published: Friday | October 3, 2003

Bolt... world junior 200m record not recognised. – File

SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico, CMC:

JAMAICAN USAIN Bolt's sizzling run at this year's Junior Pan American track and field championship in Barbados is not
    being recognised as a world junior record because the track was not officially certified.

The Barbados National Stadium track did not secure International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) certification
    and the council has refused to ratify Bolt's time of 20.13 seconds at the mid-July meet as a world record.

"The track was not certified and it ended up being a non-permit meet," Puerto Rican IAAF vice-president Amadeo Francis told
    CMC Sport yesterday.

"For one reason or another, neither the Barbados Amateur Athletic Association (AAA) nor the National Sports Council (NSC)
    in Barbados ensured that certification was done," Francis added.

The IAAF also refused to ratify American Alyson Felix's 22.11 world junior record victory at the Mexico Grand Prix in May,
    because the meet organisers were not prepared to do drug testing.

On Sunday July 20, Bolt topped American David Neville (20.63) and sped to the Pan Am Juniors 200 gold in 20.13 seconds,
    equalling the 18-year-old world best mark by American Roy Martin.

Francis said the IAAF rigidly applied the guidelines to deny Bolt a share of the world mark.

"Bolt is a young, promising athlete. He still has two more years as a junior and unless he breaks a leg or something he is going
    to break that record several times again, but it is unfortunate that the athlete is penalised when the local organisation does not
    do what it is supposed to do," Francis said.

BARBADOS TRACK

Francis said the ruling does not mean something is wrong with the Barbados track, only that the authorities in the country did
    not properly certify the venue for IAAF competition.

"The rules require certification and everybody in our ­ North America, Central American and Caribbean (NACAC) ­ area
    knows this.

"There is no reason to believe that the track would not meet the criteria because it was put down by Mondo, which is a
    reputable company," said Francis, who is also the NACAC president.

Certifying an international venue includes a surveyor endorsing the distance specifications, attesting to the dimensional accuracy
    of the overall track and all lanes, plus correct track markings, and competition installations and infield in the format approved by
    the IAAF council.

Bolt, who turned 17 years old in August, captured one of the five IAAF Rising Star Awards last month.

The award is given to the world's most impressive junior athletes for 2003. He became the youngest ever world champion
    when he won the 200 metres at last year's World Junior Championships in Kingston.

More Sport | E-mail this story

Re: No world records for Bolt, Felix?!

I would like to ask Sherrilyn Clarke who " Roy Bailey " is...... tell her Roy Martin might be a tad more accurate....

Comment

A friendly reminder about copyright...

Please do not post complete articles from other publications. The URLs and a snippet of each article is sufficient.

Comment

A nickel says that Felix indeed breaks the World Junior Record next year, but doesn't run faster than 22.11 unless she's back at Mexico City.

Comment

Sorry 'bout the posting of that complete article. I don't think I can edit previously posted messages - but maybe the website administrators can strip the two articles down to just the URL, the title and the opening paragraph?

Much obliged,
          Wilmar
          PS To give all the credit due: on the t-and-f mailing list I read that the Felix non-ratification was already mentioned in the (paper version) T&FN. Hadn't seen that yet.

Comment

"I don't think I can edit previously posted messages"

Highlight the text, copy into a word processing program, delete portions, recopy the rest and past into the forum.

Comment

>If I read the reports below correctly, both the
              >200 meter World Junior Records of Usain Bolt
              >(20,13) and Allyson Felix (22,11) have NOT been
              >ratified by the IAAF?
              Bolt because the track of
              >the Pan-Am juniors had not been certified and
              >Felix because there was no drug test at the
              >Mexico Grand Prix...

Supposedly, this was
              >already decided at the IAAF congress in Paris,
              >but I do not remember any reports about it at
              >that time?

The felix news was reported back in july, when she ran in the paris gp meet. i remember reading about it. The bolt news is more recent. some problems in our hemisphere in adhering to rules so kids don't lose records.

Comment

I know who Roy bailey is. It was a misprint but Roy Bailey held the Jamaican Junior record of 20.48 before Bolt broke it this year. I think it might have been set on that very track where Bolt ran his 20.13. He was quite a promising youngster who had horrible hamstring in his final year at high school. He is in some NCAA div. II or NAIA program but it seems there is too much scar tissue for him to ever become the very good sprinter that he had the potential to become.
                why don't people pronounce vowels anymore

Comment

Working...
                X