Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• El Guerouj

This is an excerpt from the latest T&FN covering the WC 1500.
    "...but the other A-standard Moroccan wasn't even entered in the meet. The world among circuit regulars was that El G wanted it that way, to show he could win on his own."
    Looking at the lists, it seems that the poor sap left at home was Abdelkader Hachlaf (I never heard of him). It seems that El G can and does rule his federation in the fashion of Mel Brooks' (and Adam Corolla's) cry: "It's good to be King". Am I too harsh with this "moral outrage"?
    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
    by Thomas Henry Huxley

Re: El Guerouj

"The world (sic) among circuit regulars"

There's why you should not be indignant. I very much doubt that's how it went down. El G simply would have had to tell the other Morroccan not to rabbit for him, which would have been fine, because it was not in his (other guy's) own best interests.

Comment

Right. I see no reason for "moral outrage" of any kind. The fact that none of us have heard of this Moroccan guy suggests that he's simply not very good. Thus, Pego should be praising El G for refusing the (apparent) services of any teammate-pacers. What's the beef?

Comment

Given that the other Morrocan only achieved A standard in 2002, maybe the federation had their own criteria in addition to that of the IAAF that standard must be run in 2003. Kind of like the US only sending a B standard in the marathon despite having A qualifiers.

Comment

I wish, you guys are right and I am just paranoid. Somehow, I am just not convinced.
          "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
          by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

The "unknown" Hachlaf ran the 3000mSt in Paris where he reached the final finishing 13th (one of the victims of the Shaheen "fartlek" strategy).
            As the steeplechase was conducted with the heats about one hour after the 1500m heats (and with the steeple final half an hour after the 1500m semis) doubling up was not an alternative for Hachlaf.
            But maybe it was El Guerrouj that had devised the Paris time-table with the devious intention of forcing Hachlaf out of the 1500m .....?

Comment

Working...
            X