Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Krummenacker Log Entry

Go to front page to find DK's analysis of the last half of his season.

Re: New Krummenacker Log Entry

It is good to have a professional runner give a perspective on his season. It adds a human element to track and field events. There is more to the sport than just posting times.

Many on this forum talk about Krummenacker as the savior of US distance. Apparently, he feels an obligation to fulfill that role.

His log entry also give a perspective on how competitive distance running is aboard. In one race he ran 1:45 and finished 10th. In the US that same 1:45 would win in just about any meet.

Still he finished the year ranked either 10 or 11th in the world, which is pretty damn good when you consider the talent he ran against.

I get the impression that he will run the 800 meters in next years trials. Since he is ranked in the internation top 15 in that event it maybe the right call.

Comment

His log entry
      >also give a perspective on how competitive
      >distance running is aboard. In one race he ran
      >1:45 and finished 10th. In the US that same 1:45
      >would win in just about any meet.

Yes, in some years. But in '92 1:44.00 placed only fourth at the trials.

Comment

How about the days when Johnny Gray was tearing up the track. He lasted as long as Steve Scott did in international competition. Those two guys where the USA's one two punch in the short to middle distance events.

The US has always been relatively strong in the 800 meters. Maybe that is because their are a lot of talented 400 meter runners moving up to the 800meters.
        You could look at the 800 meters as a bridge between the sprints and the distance events.

Comment

And in '84 it would have gotten you only 5th. Imagine the first four going 1:43.74, 1:43.74, 1:43.92, 1:43.92.

Comment

In the early eighties Anglo-American distance running was pretty strong. I believe 1984 was the last time a US distance runner got an Olympic medal. If memory serves me correct he was a steeplechase runner named Brian Diemer. I think in 1984 both Scott and Spivey ran in the finals. Scott if I am not mistakened finished 5th in those finals.

Comment

1:43.35 David Mack 1985
              1:43.40 Mark Everett 1992

Remember these two speedsters from the past.
              Mark Everett was Gray's main rival in the US.

Comment

You can get a taste of how David Mack spent his post-track years right here:

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/newsar ... p?nid=9876

Comment

There is no proof that is the David Mack they are talking about. The article would have mentioned that Mack was a former track star.

I hear Jon Gill is flying on the next space shuttle.

Comment

Yeah, poor James Robinson, after being the leading US 800m runner and trying in vain to beat 1:44 he finally did it at the trials, only to find 3 in front and the third only miliseconds in front. My father felt really bad for him. So did I by the way.
                    why don't people pronounce vowels anymore

Comment

The David Mack mentioned in the "Rolling Stone" article unfortunately is the one and the same who was quite competitive on the track. After his competitive days, David became an LAPD officer.

I knew David when he attended Locke High School in LA. While he was quite the athlete, he did associate with thugish elements (not surprising given the location of Locke High School).

It's unfortunate that David got caught up in the consequences of the dumb choices he made.

Comment

Yup, that's "our" David Mack, who recently sent us a note from his current residence.

If you google for Mack and bank robbery you'll come across articles like this, from PBS's "Frontline":

<<Robbers targeted a Los Angeles branch of Bank of America, making off with $722,000. Investigating officers were immediately suspicious of assistant bank manager Errolyn Romero, who had had more cash than was necessary delivered just ten minutes before the robbery. One month later Romero confessed to her role in the crime and implicated her boyfriend, L.A.P.D. officer David Mack, as the mastermind. A former track star, Mack was arrested and later convicted of the bank robbery. He was sentenced to 14 years and three months in federal prison. He has refused to reveal the whereabouts of the money, and while in prison has reportedly associated himself with the Mob Piru Bloods, a gang with ties to Death Row Records. Detectives investigating Mack discovered that two days after the robbery, Mack and two other police officers -- including a former partner, Rafael Perez -- spent the weekend gambling in Las Vegas, spending thousands of dollars. >>

Comment

Wow, what a fall from grace. Maybe he can make a comeback like Jon Gill. "Hey, Jon I have a training partner for you".

Comment

Well, at least we have a decent 800m guy for the "In the Slammer" team (or whatever it was called) from a few months back...

Comment

Krummenacker finished the year as the only US distance runner in the world top ten.

This dark season for US distance running is finally over! It could not have come sooner.

Comment

Working...
                              X