Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• School Record Clarification

I am looking for some clarification on some school records at the collegiate level.

Our school record for the women's indoor pentathlon is 3559.5 and it is also the indoor conference record.

How can someone get a half point in a multi event?

Also, what events were actually contested for the women's indoor pentathlon in 1980?

Was it the five same current events of ?

long jump
    high jump
    55 hurdles
    shot put
    800 meter run

I'm also looking for some input of the outdoor heptathlon record. In 1981, were the outdoor events the same as now with the exception of a different javelin?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!!!

Re: School Record Clarification

I know how to get half a point. Have some idiot official think it's OK to split a point when a mark falls in between the marks in the table.

Comment

One other issue:

One of our school records is from the discus and the distance is measured to the 1/2 inch.

Was that an acceptable practice back in the late 70's and early 80's?

Do I give credit for the record to the 1/2 inch, even though now the rules state to report that marks in the discus be measured to the nearest lower inch/even or odd centimeter?

Comment

It was not an acceptable practice - lose the 1/2 inch for the record book.

Comment

The IAAF accepted odd centimeters and half-inches in the long throughs through the 1973 season. With 1974 it went to even centimeters and and full inches. Shortly thereafter it killed English altogether and didn't care what anybody did with inches.

Starting with the '98 season, the IAAF (and USATF) brought back odd centimeters--one of the stupidest moves ever made by a governing body in a statistical sense. T&FN (and FAST) decided not to get back into the half-inch business as a matter of statistical cleanliness, so it is possible to have three different metric measurements having the same equivalent.

Comment

Working...
          X