1. Deji Aliu NGR 6 9.95 Games' record, personal best, season's best
    2. Emedolu Uchenna NGR 9.97
    3. Myles-Mills Leonard GHA 10.03

better late than never

Re: Deji Aliu 9.95

Aliu--PR and seasonal best by 0.08
    Emedolu--PR and seasonal best by 0.09
    Myles-Mills--sea-level PR and seasonal best 0.14

In a country with a long and honored history of producing questionable sprint marks, the question that immediately jumps to mind is "was it windy and/or hand timing?"

Comment

Aliu's 9.95s is a 0.03s improvement on his previous PR of 9.98s which he achieved earlier on in theyear.

Or was this mark neevr ratified?

Comment

>Aliu's 9.95s is a 0.03s improvement on his
        >previous PR of 9.98s which he achieved earlier on
        >in theyear.

That 9.98 was set at the Nigerian National Championships (yet another notoriously questionable championships).

Comment

Hey Garry Hill,

Shouldn't you be pulling these threads due to speculation without hard evidence? (regarding the validity of African championship meets)

You have pulled several of my posts for the same reasons.

Comment

Here's the relevant rules as posted in our guidelines:

<<2. Your posts do not go through any moderator. Nonetheless, we will be actively screening what goes on, and any objectionable posts will be terminated. With extreme prejudice.

3. The definition of "objectionable post" rests solely with T&FN. Be advised up front that sexist/racist material is out of bounds. As are unfounded accusations/suggestions that athlete X is using drugs.>>

Questioning wind and/or timing methodology is not forbidden. If the statisticians of the world didn't stay on top of this with a vengeance the lists would be bloated with crap that never really happened.

Comment

Which leaves me still puzzled why my 'fantasy run partner' with Ms. Dragila, where we'd run to a cafe to have a drink and talk track, was pulled.

Comment

Does the word "sexist" ring a bell?

Comment

The principle is the same.

Both instances (drug accusations and wind/timing methodology accusations) involve calling someone's performance into question based on "unfounded" speculation.

If you're willing to admit that some African national championship meets are highly questionable, you should be willing to admit that certain athletes' performances are highly questionable.

Remember, if it weren't for people fighting the war on drugs in track, Ben Johson would still have his 100m gold medal and his 9.79 woud have stood as a world record.

Comment

I didn't question "some African championships" I questioned that 100. Just as I still question every mark run on the Tennessee oval in the '60s and '70s before it was converted from yards to meters. Just as I question a lot of the marks made in Rieti. Just as T&FN and other statisticians questioned marks at the JC Championships a few years back and it was uncovered that they had been run with the wind gauge on the wrong side of the track. I'm an equal-opportunity questioner as to the proper running of meets.

The difference between questioning this and the drug situation is that one is uncovering things that the athletes aren't responsible for. We're not pointing any fingers at them, which speculation about drugs does. There's a world of difference there.

Comment

Anyone know what elevation Abuja is? What was the wind reading? I fully agree with GH that questioning marks for things not related to "cheating" are very different from drug accusations which almost always imply the athlete in question was cheating.

Comment

Altitude is a good question. Had never even thought about that. No definitive source, but I do see from my large-scale map that there's a peak at 5800ft (c1800m) about 50M away from Abjuja. So it's not exactly on a large flat plain.

Comment

The altitude of Abuja is 360m.

Comment

>Aliu's 9.95s is a 0.03s improvement on his
                            >previous PR of 9.98s which he achieved earlier on
                            >in theyear.

=====================================

Aliu's 9.98 is listed in the IAAF top 100 m lists for 2003. So looks like they've ratified it.

Maybe these guys just like running at home - there's nothing like Mum's cooking.

(follow link from http://www.iaaf.org/statistics/toplists ... index.html)

Comment

>The altitude of Abuja is 360m.

You sure about that? I find three different measure for the altitude of the city:

246m
                              http://www.calle.com/info.cgi?lat=9.250 ... ia&alt=810

356m
                              http://www.calle.com/info.cgi?lat=9.166 ... a&alt=1167

777m
                              http://www.calle.com/info.cgi?lat=9.083 ... a&alt=2552

Anybody know the lat/long of the stadium or 100% certain of the altitude of the stadium? Looks like it very widely depending on where you are in the city.

Comment

Working...
                              X