X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Statue In Works For Smith & Carlos

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 2BID41.DTL

Re: Statue In Works For Smith & Carlos

So when fans and athletes go to meets at San José State they can pay homage to Smith and Carlos.

Oh wait, they don't even have a track team anymore...

Comment

We should not forget Australian Peter Norman who also participated in the protest. We should honor all three of them for taking such a bold stand for human rights. Smith and Carlos suffered dearly for their stand and yet maintained a quiet dignity throughout. This type of dignity is rare among today's world class athletes and rarer still in the realm of big money sports like pro football or basketball.

Comment

Amen brother.

Comment

>We should not forget Australian Peter Norman who
          >also participated in the protest. We should
          >honor all three of them for taking such a bold
          >stand for human rights. Smith and Carlos
          >suffered dearly for their stand and yet
          >maintained a quiet dignity throughout. This type
          >of dignity is rare among today's world class
          >athletes and rarer still in the realm of big
          >money sports like pro football or basketball.

I imagine Norman isn't part of the sculpture because he isn't a SJSU alum like Carlos & Smith. However, the best way to honor Smith & Carlos would've been to resurrect the track & field team!

Comment

I didn't know that Norman took part in the protest. In what way did he do this?

Comment

It is rather sad that today's top athletes have much more power and influence than any of those on the 68 team in the form of money and prestige..yet are willing to sacrifice so little as it would affect their Nike contracts...
              When John Carlos was asked if he regretted his actions, he replied.."I did not regret it, I do not regret it and I will never regret it.."

Comment

Peter Norman wore a button on his sweatsuit that read OPHR which stood for "Olympic Project for Human Rights." I am not sure who asked whom to participate but the button was apparently given to him by Carlos and Smith so he could be the "desiganated witness" OPHR was the human rights organization organized at SJSU of which Smith and Carlos were members. The act was often portrayed then and now as a "Black Thing," although it clearly was not. It was an act of civil disobediance speaking for all oppressed peoples of which Smith and Carlos,as African Americans, were one of them.

Comment

<So when fans and athletes go to meets at San José State they can pay homage to Smith and Carlos.>

I presume SJSU still has a track. If so, I might get around to visiting some day and paying my respects to two great sprinters, including an obvious all-time great (TS). One of the more satisfying moments for me was when my daughter was at ASU, to visit Henry Carr stadium, and run on the track there. Evidently, I am a 200m fan!

Comment

I didn't agree with the protest in 68 and i still don't. The OG are no place for political or any other demonstration. There cause was just no argument there, but the games are suppose to be non- political.We get pissed-off when some Hollywood type Say's something at an award show, against or for some cause. In other words there's a time and a place for these things.

Comment

Working...
                    X