Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overhaul or New Beginning?

Listening to Masback talk about the Jerome Young case (and others) is a lot like listening to Bill Clinton being deposed. Rather than talk about the FACTS of the case/issue, the discussion centers on the LANGUAGE of the LAW/RULES. Lawyer-ese at its finest.

Until the sport of T&F/Road Running in the USA becomes a real business, run like a business, with the idea of making a profit we will be stuck with under-qualified & over-worked volunteers trying to handle the bulk of the problems. These volunteers will continue to resent the few paid USATF employees who have a snowball's chance in hell of succeeding in their jobs. T&F/Distance running in the USA is trying to be half-pregnant (i.e. amateur vs pro, jogger vs elite). It's high time that the old guard give it up and we all move the sport into the 21st century.

Reading the comments coming out of the USOC these days (taking the USATF out to the woodshed) smacks of even move clowns on an ego/power trips. Keeping the government folks involved with this guarantees nothing but more/continuing bureaucracy and overblown egos focused on political posturing and positioning rather than on the sport/athletes.

The amatuer sports act of 1978 got this mess rolling and until that is totally blown up we are doomed to repeat the existing mess again and again.

The notion that T&F athletes (with very few exceptiions) can't make a decent living is disgusting to me. It's time that the athletes take matters into their own hands and band together to create positive changes for themselves and their sport. I'm not talking about unions and such crap. I'm talking about a calm, cool, levelheaded professional approach to overhaul and revamp the sport from top to bottom. Quick fixes and short term personal gain cannot drive this effort. Only a well thought out long term vision/road map can give the sport a fighting chance to succeed.

I have given up on the idea that the USATF/USOC and other such "governing bodies/national organizations" can reinvent themselves to get the job done right. It's time for a new beginning.

Call me naƮve and/or idealistic, but I for one am sick of all talk and little action.

What do you think?

Re: Overhaul or New Beginning?

What is your idea for this long term vision or roadmap?

Comment

Send me an email and I'd be happy to explain it. Posting all of the specifics here would make for a huge post that most would not read.

Comment

You're making the false assumption that we have lives. Post it here, we'll read it if its not crap.

Comment

Mike -

Before we spend a lot of time cititquing a plan that suggests a new beginning, are you of the mindset that an overhaul of the existing structure is the way to go, or are you more of the mindset that we need a clean break and new start?

BTW, my apologize for a bad assumption. I'm striving hard to get to the point where I too have no life.

Comment

Working...
          X