Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: message board set up

> Having to jump to different forums makes the sight a bit more diffifuclt for average reader to use, which is why we hold off, distasteful as the drug stuff might be to you.

Most of us are smart enough to choose between T&FN links, and a DRUGS link.

After all, that's how we found our way to this site in the first place.

By having "everything" about drugs, you will generate a lot of hysteria, but any relevant information about achievement and performance will continue to be quickly lost.

I do agree with Powell, with the current format just rename the forums to drugs and webb, though it would be nice to have more productive choices.

Comment

I just realized why the forums (fora?) have to stay together and the reason sums up the sad state of affairs we are in now. Look how many 'innocent' threads turn into a 'drugs' topic (or Webb!). The fact of the matter is that track and drugs are now INSEPARABLE! How tragic is that?

Comment

To me, what's really tragic is the mindset of most track fans (and the entire T&F community) nowadays. I agree drugs are a major issue, but people get way too obsessed with them. You can't be competitive on the international scene nowadays without being accused of drug taking. Just get over it, folks ! By all means, let's push for better testing procedures. But accusing everyone without proof isn't doing anyone any good. You talk of T&F being perceived as the dirtiest of all sports. This perception is caused by the general obsession with the drug issue, with athletes accusing their competitors, IAAF officials accusing some countries of organized doping and internet forum users accusing everyone. I say: if drugs are such a huge problem, do more to stop it and spend less time talking about it.
        Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

This is a moot issue, because Webb is on the subpoena list, so Webb and Drugs will soon be the same forum.

OK, just kidding..... It's actually Gabe who's on the list :-)

Comment

"I say: if drugs are such a huge problem, do more to stop it and spend less time talking about it."

Which is it? You can't deal with the issue without talking about it. The Balco mess has generated heat (talk/press) which may actually give pause to potential druggies. "The truth shall set you free." The truth is that shining a huge spotlight on the whole sordid mess will send the cockroaches scurrying about, so we can squash them.

Comment

I'm not suggesting we try to hush the issue out of sight. But there needs to be a limit. What I see at the moment is people caring more about drugs than about the sport itself. IMHO, it's totally gone overboard.

Comment

or not far enough, i.e. what have we really accomplished thus far?

Comment

<What I see at the moment is people caring more about drugs than about the sport itself.>

Isn't it maddening that the recent USADA announcement got a lot more press than the WC?
                  "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                  by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

I think a separate "drugs" board sends the wrong message. I can see a paragraph in the NY Times that notes T&F News, "The Bible of the Sport," considers the issue to be worthy of a status of current events and history on its message board (yeah, like they'd care). I didn't have a problem with a simple current & historical bifurcation, but I'm wondering what litmus test would be used to create additional sections. I don't read every thread, but I certainly don't want to toggle amongst 8 or more sections. Now if you want to get creative and classify a thread or use some color coded scheme, that's fine. I've been impressed with the diligence in which you've protected this board from deteriorating thus far, but I've got to believe it's time consuming.

If further separation is desired, it would seem to me that it'd be more productive to institutionalize sections that are consistent and complement the magazine -- unless T&F News plans to devote an entire section of the magazine to drugs, I vote "no" (that is if I get to vote ;-)

Comment

>or not far enough, i.e. what have we really
                      >accomplished thus far?

You obviously didn't get the point of my message. What I said was that we've talked about the drug issue too much (that's what I referred to as 'going overboard'), and that what is needed is action.

Comment

Drug Summit Needed

"You obviously didn't get the point of my message."

Nor you mine? WE've talked about it enough but WE've got to do some action? There's two WE's here. Yes, WE the board talkers have talked too much, but no, WE the board talkers have no action to perform. WE, the sport, have accomplished very little, and WE, the sport, DO need to talk and act more now. The talk I refer to is that everyone needs to get on the same page (communicate more clearly). OBVIOUSLY we are all NOT on the same page. Don't you agree it's time for a REAL drug summit, with athletes, coaches, trainers, 'nutritional experts', USATF, USADA, the PRESS (!) all together to hash out how we can all accomplish the same goal: betterment of the sport.

Comment

Re: Drug Summit Needed

I've got a solution for cutting the drug-based traffic in half: ask MJD to cease and desist.

Comment

> I think a separate "drugs" board sends the wrong message.

Right now EVERY message is about drugs, which sends the messages that T&F is about drugs and not performance and achievement.

By having drugs in their own section, and no where else, all the drug discussion can go there and the rest of us can talk about TRACK.

Either that, or to carry what Powell said a bit farther, change the name to D&FN.

Comment

Okay.

Everything's still about drugs.

Enjoy, all ye who cherish and worship them.

Comment

You may have noticed by now that there is indeed a third forum. This does not mean that we have decided there should be a separate drug forum. But since so many people have decided to create their own threads on exacty the same subject--the current THG crisis--we have decided that that should get its own (temporary?) slot so that people can get into talk about some of the happier things in the sport without having to wade through a second screen.

Meanwhile, we'll try to keep you as advised as possible on the front page of all the latest developments.

e. garry hill/editor, T&FN

Comment

Working...
                                X