Freddie not retiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freddie not retiring

Which you will notice the details of same on the front page. Saw it on an obscure sprint board yesterday afternoon but it wouldn't google so I just assumed it was another Jon Gill/eddie thing.

Re: Freddie not retiring

www.iaaf.org

Reports of Fredericks retirement premature.
    Wednesday 22 October 2003

Namibia's renowned sprinter, Frank Fredericks, has denied reports from the All Africa Games that suggested that he was retiring after that competition.

Originally quoted by journalists with whom he spoke in Abuja at the Games as saying that this marked the end of his international career, Fredericks has now stated that he was misquoted.

"I was shocked," Fredericks said Tuesday from his home in Namibia. "What I said was that this is definitely my last All Africa games because I am not going to compete at 40."

Fredericks, who celebrated his 36th birthday on 2 October said that he has already started his preparations for the 2004 Olympic Games in Athens: "I am not retiring," he confirmed.

Fredericks has already three Olympic silver medals to his credit, from the 100 and 200 metres in Barcelona in 1992 and a silver in the 200 metres in Atlanta in 1996.

Throughout his career, he has been one of the most consistent sprinters over both 200 metres (22 performances under 20 seconds) and 100 metres.

Comment

Hey, it might not be all that hard to win a sprint medal next year! :-)

Comment

The only "Freddie" I know whose name can stand alone is Freddie Krueger. Did you perhaps mean Frankie?

Comment

>The only "Freddie" I know whose name can stand
          >alone is Freddie Krueger. Did you perhaps mean
          >Frankie?

My bad but here is a little more on Frankie and when he races again:

http://www.namibian.com.na/2003/septemb ... 594F9.html

Comment

My bad but here is a little
            >more on Frankie and when he races
            >again:

http://www.namibian.com.na/2003/septembe
            >/sport/0322594F9.html

Men:
            200m: 1. Frank Fredericks (Namibia) 20.57, 2. Gennadiy Chernovol (Kazakhstan) 20.81, 3. Ounar Loum (Seneral) 20.99.

Comment

Working...
            X