Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Golden League Screws Field Events AGAIN!

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• abinferno
    replied
    Re: Golden League Screws Field Events AGAIN!

>You've also got to remember that one of the prime
    >drivers for putting butts in seats on the
    >European Circuit is record attempts. It works in
    >some of hte prime track events:

Here's the 800
    >rabbit going out in 49-flat (whoa, on WR pace!);
    >here's the 1500 rabbit leading El G through the
    >1200 in 2:52 (whoa, WR pace!), etc., etc. The
    >illusion of being close to a WR is always
    >there.

Maybe the announcer should start saying things like the following: "Wow, he is moving down that runway about as fast as Mike Powell did, we may have a world record on this one" or "That was a great javelin release, the way that left his hand could mean a world record" See, people who don't know much about the events or the records would be excited every time! LOL

Leave a comment:

• michael lewis
    replied

After Balco as it will come to be known, they either chuck out the records or keep on forcing people to chase records set by Martians.

Leave a comment:

• 6 5.5hjsteve
    replied

tafnut, that is a really GOOD idea about the flags at some meaningful distance, such as "top 10" this year. I kid you not.

Any meet directors reading this ?

Something that T&FN can editorialize about.

Good work tafnut.

Leave a comment:

• Powell
    replied

>here's the 1500 rabbit leading El G through the
    >1200 in 2:52 (whoa, WR pace!)

...only if he can run the final 300 meters below 34 seconds (pretty hard, if you ask me)

Leave a comment:

• tafnut
    replied

but if you put the flag (throws and h jumps) out there at 'Top 10 in the World this year', suddenly it looks like you've got the World All-Stars, because guess what, you do! Instead of always telling everyone the world record, let's talk about the best THIS year. The GL/GP meets have the BEST in the world competing and that's what theyu shouild be selling. The World Series doesn't have the two best teams EVER, they have the two who have the best record this year. Let's sell what we've got, the elite of the elite.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied

You've also got to remember that one of the prime drivers for putting butts in seats on the European Circuit is record attempts. It works in some of hte prime track events:

Here's the 800 rabbit going out in 49-flat (whoa, on WR pace!); here's the 1500 rabbit leading El G through the 1200 in 2:52 (whoa, WR pace!), etc., etc. The illusion of being close to a WR is always there.

On the field (excluding the vertical jumps, which have a clearly defined standard for instant appreciation of success/failure), what happens? There's a flag out at c245ft in the discus and half the throws in the field barely pass 200, and only rarely does one pass 220. For all the uniniated in the house (i.e., a huge proportion thereof) they're watching an ongoing set of "failures" by what look like shlubs.

Leave a comment:

• michael lewis
    replied

Some events are more popular than others and it has always been so, because they are inherently more exciting, and also because people find some events less alien than others. Walks, hammer throwing, discus throwing, 400 hurdles - general public doesn't appreciate the technical aspects of such events and doesn't want to be educated about how to do that. Personally I wish they'd spend more time and money using relays as a way to promote the sport, as they are probably the most exciting events in athletics. But that's not likely given the way the sport currently operates.

Leave a comment:

• tafnut
    replied

They are promoting a self-fulfilling prophecy. The field events are no good, so we'll ignore them. Then the fans have no interest in them because they don't see them. Circular argument. Let's cycle through all events blindly (I'll let the 100 and Mile (not 1500) stay, cuz they are always a draw)and BUILD interest in the 'smaller' ones. I could get into the Hammer (not the 10K) if I were educated properly and it was showcased intelligently. Those ARE big guys throwing big old nasty weapons of mass destruction.

Leave a comment:

• michael lewis
    replied

I agree with Mr. Hill's logic, and I also agree that logic would dictate the women's pole vault be included. The IAAF could sell calendars to hype the events. Well some of them.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

I think that the WR in the Women's vault was set three times this year, Indoor and Outdoor

Leave a comment:

• Olegi2
    replied

What really bugs me is the fact that, in Europe at least, when the TV companies are advertising their programmesin the days prior to the broadcast, they ALWAYS show the jumps. Never do they show a bunch of Africans running round and round in circles

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Gateshead had a world record in the polevault this year. Most people only found out the next day. It was so late finishing that it not only missed the TV coverage but only a few hundred fans were left in the stadium. The rest had gone home thinking that the competition was over.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

vault does not take hours. The opening height in big meets is 5'50 and the pegs are shorter thanks to the IAAF

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

they r afraid that Lobinger will "moon" the GL TV audience..he he he he he he he

Leave a comment:

• polevaultpower
    replied

>You ever try to watch an entire vault
    >competition?
    It takes hours!

Not if they do it right. You would think they could figure it out for a Golden League Meet. Limit the field, and don't let in that local athlete in who jumps 2 feet lower than everyone else. Have the first couple bar progressions be 15-20 cm. Have a competent pit crew.

It's not hard.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X