Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Money and the sport

Jim gives more than just great post. He spoke to the T&FN Tour at the '92 Olympic Trials and it was the greatest inspirational speech I've ever heard. That's ever in the sense of all walks of life, all time, not just track stuff. I was ready to go out and run a 4:00 minute mile myself after I heard him talk.

Of course, we were in New Orleans and 30 seconds after hitting the street I was a bag of sweat and far more concerned with seeing if I could consume a 6-pack in 4:00.

Comment

i am not certain that it was similar to the speech he gave g.h. & crew, but he came to speak my senior year in h.s. at our xc banquet in '90 - it was simply fantastic and i will *never* forget it. thank you again, mr. spivey.

Comment

>Of course, we were in New
        >Orleans and 30 seconds after hitting the street I
        >was a bag of sweat and far more concerned with
        >seeing if I could consume a 6-pack in 4:00.

4:00 in those conditions would have been "assisted", and not recognized by the governing bodies.

Being that I was one of the first athletes to be paid openly for running, here's what the original AW deal was in 1978: $1000 a month, plus travel and expenses, plus bonuses similar to what Spivey posted.

Somewhere along the way, Spivey was getting screwed; either by a false sense of loyalty to Nike, or a crooked agent, or a combination of both. I ran the 1500 in Olso, much much slower than Spivey ever ran there, and I got $300 (decent, but not great in 78). A 3:50 mile in one of the most important races of the year and his agent comes up with $300 lousy dollars. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what was going on there.

Still, had Spivey chosen to jump ship earlier he probably would have been paid more.

And some wonder why runners chose the roads? The contracts were bigger, the bonuses were certainly bigger, and the action was year-round.

Comment

Working...
        X