X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2003 AOY's male and female

Predictions please.

Re: 2003 AOY's male and female

We did this after the WC's. I believe the consensus was Sanchez and Mutola, although Radcliffe may still be 'alive' or Guevara or even Kluft.

Comment

Radcliffe has only one race that TFN will consider in balloting, and even though the 2:15 should be POY, no way she'll be AOY

Comment

If this is the case TFN = IAAF, sad state of affairs!!!!!!!!!

Comment

It SHOULD be Sanchez and Klüft, it WILL be El Guerrouj and Mutola...

Comment

put me down for Kluft and Sanchez too...

Comment

>put me down for Kluft and Sanchez too...>>

Who'd waste time putting you down, you hockey puck! Kluft and Sanchez are fine choices.

Comment

>If this is the case TFN = IAAF, sad state of
                >affairs!!!!!!!!!>>

Harrumph! T&FN > IAAF, in all matters! :-)

Seriously, this was relative to a post where somebody noted that Radcliffe had only one race that would serve to get her votes as T&FN AOY, and that is true. You've got to remember our name TRACK AND FIELD, not track and field and road, or track and field and cross country. Track & Field News. That's where we started and that's where we stay. We're not out to ID the best "runner" which Radcliffe may well be this year, but she's not the best track performer.

We do consider marks made in marathon and 20 and 50 Walks as well, since those are Olympic/WC events. But we don't broaden our definition anything beyond that. Hopefully that makes some sense to one and all.

Comment

so you can cross off Paula for AOY.

Comment

TFN, thanks for your stance. Jumpers and throwers get hosed with regularity already since nearly alweays they only have a single event they can compete in. Meanwhile sprinters, middle distance runners, and distance runners can all pad their resumes by running multiple distances that to the uniniated may look like "different" events but in reality are just variations on a theme.

Open the doors to unlimited road racing and cross country and nobody but a distance runner will ever win anything ever again. Your way is infinitely fairer and for that us fieldies salute you.

Comment

Field Guy, I'm a field guy too, and through the years I think that T&FN's AOYs have given pretty darned good billing to field eventers.
                      It's hard to knock picking the likes of Carl Lewis(he was a fair enough good LJ'er too), Marion Jones,and Michael Johnson, and El G and Morceli never doubled up, they were /are strictly 1500/milers ( until El G this year that is. )

On both the men's and women's sides we've had quite a few field winners. Matson, Beamon, Seydikh, Bupka, Alekna, Slupianek, Ackermann come to mind and I am sure there are more. Add JJK to that list too, pretty much a fielder.

Comment

Go to the "Archive" section and look up the list of all-time AOYs. As a quickie capsule that was easy to read/calculate I note that of the last 13 men's AOYs, 11 of them were pure runners and 9 of those rated in more than one event. It has become almost impossible for a field eventer to break through.

In same span, women have 3 pure field eventers (and Marion w/ LJs that don't matter twice) and 9 who rated in multiple runs.

Don't try to tell me the playing field (npi) is level.

Comment

Plus, the guy in 2000, the hammer thrower whose name escapes me.

Comment

I believe you mean the "discus thrower." Virgilijus Alekna was AOY in '00.

Comment

Field Guy, I will have to admit that it's been a bit sparse in recent years except for Alekna. Matson/Beamon/Bubka/Seydikh is going back a few years. But then again, have we had field eventers in the last dozen years as good as those guys were?

But yes, it is tougher for "us field guys" to get respect. Even the name of our sport is oftentimes contracted to "Track."

Comment

Working...
                              X