Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2003 AOY's male and female

OK, so let's go back to the 70's which started with your guy Matson as the AOY. He was the only field eventer! There was also one guy (Milburn) who made it ranking in one event.

Then came 8 straight years of runners who scored in more than one event.

Comment

Believe me, I'm on your side. It is indeed worse than I thought.

Comment

I can sympathize w/ Field Guy. At one point a few years back I felt that there was so much extra credit being given to people for doing what I considered running the same event twice, just under a different name, that I tried to interest the rest of the staff in a concept whereby everybody was a different person in a different event.

OK, it was loony, and it didn't fly, but I was suggesting that your ballot might look like this (making names up):

1. Jones HJ
        2. El X 5000
        3. El X 10,000

In ohter words, no double credit for anybody. General public would never buy it, but it would level the playing field!

Comment

I know I am probably stsating the obvious here to a great extent, but.....

there should be SOME credit for doing well in, say, 2 events. After all, they ARE separate events, like it or not. Do the 5 and 10 overlap ? Of course they do, but not 100 %. Same thing in 800/1500, etc. But it's mainly the 100/200 and 5000/10,000 that it has the greatest overlap.

And yes there is a small overlap in the LJ and the sprints ( speed helps ! ) but people like Carl Lewis sure should not be looked at as 2 separate Carl the lj'er" and "Carl the 100 runner."

So Garry although your idea had some merits, it had more demerits and as such was properly not enacted.

Should a John Godina get extra esteem if he throws both 75' and 240' ? He sure better !!!!

To complete a too verbose message, doubling is a Fact of Life in Track & Field, more so in Track than in Field due to the greater homogeneity of the events. That's just the Way It Is.

Comment

Working...
          X