Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• reality running

Lets say you took an 5 average joes off the street who was willing to train no matter what type of work out you put him through. There talnet as runners ranged between average to good but they never ran in college. The mens ages range between 23-29 so they are basically done growing.
    Lets say they trained all year long working up to 100 mile weeks and dong what ever speed work out that would best ehlp there 8 k times. WHat type of times do you think there would be, and do you think any of them would be able to compete and become division II or III all americans

Re: reality running

There was already a threat nearly identical to this one about average people running a 6 minute mile. The 6 minute mile is much more conceivable than what you're suggesting. An answer to your question, in a word, NO

Comment

MAYBE one of them would get to 100 miles a week in one piece. They would all grow to hate running! It's as much the passion as it is the talent and training.

Comment

Not quite what you describe because not done quickly enough and I don't know how good you have to be for Div 11 and 111 but I did have the disadvantage of a bad weight problem:

Age-24
        No college running
        First 100 mile week-14.5 months from start
        Consistent 100 mile weeks-21 months from start
        10km in 31:36 18.5 months from start
        Marathon in 2:25:41 21 months from start

And tafnut, still running(arguably) 20 years after that nonsense.

Comment

Just looked up the Div III qualifying standards for 02 track. It ain't happening let alone All American.

Comment

Dear average Joe
            a. I salute you!
            b. do you not prove my point about passion?
            c. maybe you think you are average - but your devotion is in the top one percentile.

Comment

and even though MDF ( ? ) might not agree, you found out you have TALENT as well !!!! What an inspiration to the rest of us, thank you.

Comment

tafnut, you're a coach right? The funny thing is that I think it wouldn't have happened if I would have gotten a coach earlier than I did(15 months). Would have told me to back off which would have been good advice probably. 'Fraid I'm in the MDF(?) camp steve:-).

Comment

Yes, I am, in HS and oh yes, I would have backed you off. But once you're in your 20's I say go for it, as you did. The 100+ mile weeks are a kill/excel bargain with the devil. You come out the back end either as you did or broken in mind and body.

Comment

Okay I should had not said 100miles, Especially since not every one adapts to high mileage well. Lets just say you took some one who could had run 4:25 in high school--but they never ran, that was just there talent, Put them through the best possible training. What do you think they would run? I asked on another board, and it ranges from 37:00 for an 8k to 25-26:00 for and 8k

Comment

5 guys in their 20's with obvious talent but never trained before and then they are totally dedicated for a solid 12 months:

You would get them to between 27 and 30 mins for the 8k.

Maybe one faster but not likely.

Comment

>5 guys in their 20's with obvious talent but
                        >never trained before and then they are totally
                        >dedicated for a solid 12 months:

You would get
                        >them to between 27 and 30 mins for the
                        >8k.

>Maybe one faster but not likely.

Some of the guys I ran with had no obvious talent,
                        weren't that dedicated(although that is a relative
                        term), started in their 20s, had no coaching and got down to 30 minutes for 8km almost immediately.
                        10km was the standard distance actually and the 37 minute barrier was quickly broken.

Comment

I thought that a stipulation was that these guys had never run before. If someone had never run before they will not be at 30:00 almost immediately. Now if they are active 20 something year olds and they engage in other sports (soccer, basketball, etc,) and are in pretty good shape to begin with that is a different story.

Please restate the conditions to which you would like us to reply.

Comment

WOW,
                            I just read yours AVERAGEJOE. Those times would put you as an all conference in many division 3 and Naia conferences. How much did you wiegh when you started? Well good luck in the rest of your running and keep bringing those times down.

PS: Do you have a goal you would like to reach, Have you ever run any thing shorter then those listed?

Comment

>I thought that a stipulation was that these guys
                              >had never run before. If someone had never run
                              >before they will not be at 30:00 almost
                              >immediately.

I started with a weight problem so I wasn't quite immediately. Feb 1-first run-double work-out btw-2x2 mile. June 20th-37:19 10km. Couple of other guys that I ran with did it quicker because they didn't have a lot of weight to lose. No one was telling them they couldn't do it and they were hanging with people who had.

Comment

Working...
                              X