Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Shot put Olympic Competition

I made the mistake of checking out the web link above. In order to cleanse my brain, I'll spend the next few weeks reading that definitive, 8-volume classic, "The History of Bulgarian Race Walking." Yeeeeech!

Comment

the hammer throw has been put outside the offical stadium so often that I'm surprised that it wasn't the choice. Why not enact the ancient games, with wrestling, etc., in the ancient stadium, and leave the "modern" Olympics alone?
      Hi, Louise!!

Comment

I agree that ticket holders should not be cheaped by losing an event final. But the naked jokes, wasn't that done in the 1890's to De Cubertin? I believe it is a good idea to incorporate the 2004 olympics with the original stadium. So, I am not totally against it.

I thought I read that the original olympic stadium was going to house archery?

As for events if you have ever been to the stadium only a limited amount of events could be housed there with the shot put being the easiest.

Comment

<Why not enact the ancient games, with wrestling>

You mean naked mud wrestling, of course, don't you? Co-ed perhaps, like John Candy in "Stripes"?
          "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
          by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

>I agree that ticket holders should not be cheaped
            >by losing an event final. But the naked jokes,
            >wasn't that done in the 1890's to De Cubertin? I
            >believe it is a good idea to incorporate the 2004
            >olympics with the original stadium. So, I am not
            >totally against it.

I thought I read that the
            >original olympic stadium was going to house
            >archery?

As for events if you have ever been
            >to the stadium only a limited amount of events
            >could be housed there with the shot put being the
            >easiest.

I think Athens2004 (Ms Daskalaki-Angellopoulos in particular) was referring to the ancient (2500 years old) stadium in Olympia, not the one in Athens from 1896 (which is built on top of the ancient Athens stadium). Olympia is 500-600 miles from Athens. Greek Archeologists already are furious about the idea. The Panathinaikon Stadium in Athens from 1896 will indeed be sued for the Archery (which is really cool) and for the Marathon finish.

Comment

Typos.... Olympia is also 250 miles from Athens more or less.... not 500.
              Cheers

I think Athens2004 (Ms Daskalaki-Angellopoulos in particular) was referring to the ancient (2500 years old) stadium in Olympia, not the one in Athens from 1896 (which is built on top of the ancient Athens stadium). Olympia is 250 miles from Athens. Greek Archeologists already are furious about the idea. The Panathinaikon Stadium in Athens from 1896 will indeed be used for the Archery (which is really cool) and for the Marathon finish

Comment

Working...
              X