Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slaney makes HOF

Ok, this will probably get removed, but here goes....

How does anyone in their mind (right or wrong) justify voting an athlete into the USATF HOF who served a drug suspension? What kind of message are the jokers who voted for her trying to send? This woman was soundly booed when she made the Millrose Games HOF, it was interesting to witness her reaction. I wonder if it will be the same in Greensboro.

I don't care how many records you set, if you go afoul of the drug rules your entire record is tainted and under question of legitimacy. She should not have even qualified for the ballot.

Is Randy Barnes the next inductee?

Re: Slaney makes HOF

<I don't care how many records you set, if you go afoul of the drug rules your entire record is tainted and under question of legitimacy. She should not have even qualified for the ballot.>

MJR - I agree. Note that baseball will likely be facing similar issues in a few years if Bonds is implicated. Already a (very) unpopular player among the media, if he is proven to have used performance enhancing drugs as well don't be suprised if he isn't a first ballot HOF'er, although he will get in eventually.

Comment

What you're forgetting is that it is a USATF Hall of Fame and as far as USATF was concerned, she was found not guilty. The IAAF disagreed, but the USATF proceedings ended with her exoneration. She is therefore as eligible as anyone else for the HOF, and of course, more than merely eligible based on what she did on the track.

Comment

That same logic says Dennis Mitchell, and his dog at my homework excuse, are the next emabarrassment to go to the HOF.

Comment

Dennis is not good enough to make the HOF.

Comment

Thats only part of the issue, he should be removed from consideration, as should anyone who is sanctioned with more than an event DQ by the IAAF for a drug test positive. What kind of message are we sending here???

Comment

not trying to turn this into a Drug post here, but I for one think that Mary was guiltless. I do not believe 90 % of the athletes who cry innocence but I do believe her.

And once that aspect of her candidacy is put aside, she's a shoo-in.

Comment

Blame the journalists! TAFWA members probably have as many or more votes for the Hall of Fame as USATF members do.

Comment

Is "TAFWA" Track and Field Writers Association or something like that ?

If so.... would not they be more qualified to determine HOF than USATF membership ?

Just how is the balloting done ? I remember voting one year... I got something in the mail..perhaps tied to being registered at that year's convention ot the prior year>

So my question is: once a slate of persons is determined.... who votes ?

Comment

Maybe I'm wrong, but isn't this the USATF (not IAAF) hall of fame? And didn't USATF clear her of any wrongdoing? The fact that the IAAF didn't sign off on it didn't cheapen her any in USATF's eyes.

Suppose your a right-on Republican and the international court in the Hague finds Prez. Bush to be a war criminal, whereas a U.S. court says no such thing. With whom do you side?

Comment

>not trying to turn this into a Drug post here,
                      >but I for one think that Mary was guiltless. I
                      >do not believe 90 % of the athletes who cry
                      >innocence but I do believe her.

Why?
                      Because she's Mary Slaney and others aren't?
                      Please enlighten.

Comment

Mr "Please explain the difference" do tell me that you are not waiting on an answer to your thoughtful question from the poster.

Comment

I can only "enlighten" by a gut feeling, absolutely nothing more, nothing less.

Comment

Why not? If he can't back up his belief with logic rather than emotion, how good is that belief?
                            I'm giving him the chance to validate his statement by revealing his thought process. Maybe he's on to something I haven't thought of.

Comment

>I can only "enlighten" by a gut feeling,
                              >absolutely nothing more, nothing less.

Ah. "Hoping."

In that case, I recommend an antacid.

Comment

Working...
                              X