Tommy Skipper does not deserves AOY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tommy Skipper does not deserves AOY

I'm just curious of why did Tommy Skipper get Athlete of the Year by T&FN? Their are other nominees that clealy should recieve that honor. The 3rd Runner up-Kerron Clement, didn't he get Gatorade National High School Boys T&F Athlete of the year, alongside with Allyson Felix the girls winner. Im I going crazy oh what..and the Gatorade was nation wide and if Tommy got it by T&FN shouldn't he receive the Gatorade one too. Kerron should have been T&FN Athlete of the year. That's just my opinion, and I wanna get everyone's views.

Re: Tommy Skipper does not deserves AOY

My vote would go to Kilmartin. Ranked in the top 5 in 5 different events is more impressive than an NR in a single event.

(I'm a pole vaulter and could totally live without every other event, so I ain't being prejudiced!)

Comment

I agree with Spider-man. Kerron gets my vote any day.

Comment

skipper was definately deserving. he broke one of the more impressive national high school records out there and then backed that up with another 18' jump to win the usatf juniors. he is also talented in other events. a state title in the 100m he is a talented jav thrower and could probably do just as well as kilmartin in the decathalon.

Comment

I vote Skipper also, but Kilmartin and Clement would have been fine as well.

Comment

clement all the way.

Comment

I voted in the HS AOY balloting. I believe that there's about a dozen voters, who each use their own criteria. I use (not in this order): honors won, relative dominance depending on the competitiveness of the event (a mark against Kilmartin in the dec), all-time performance ranking (a big plus for Skipper especially in an established event). I had Skipper 1, Kilmartin 2 an Clement 3, which was the overall balloting. The choices were close, so I can see an argument for each.

Comment

First off, what Gatorade decides has little to do with what the TFN panel decides. It's a vote of two dozen high school track wonks. Skipper and Kilmartin were pretty evenly split with just 3 points separating them. An agrument can be made for Clement, but an equal agrument could be made that he wasn't as good in '03 as he was in '02. The one who got short changed I think was Magness. After running 4:03.xx in a tough district race he followed it up high pressure races at regional (c4:07) and state (c4:01)and followed it with a quality mile at Pre. I think too much was made of his loss at adidas Outdoor. He did the right thing in my book by running the 4xmile relay with his buddies in the morning, splitting 4:07 and comming back to run the open seeded race and repeating his time. The fact that he chose not to drop his teammates for individual glory showed alot of character. I think he paid a heavey price in votes. He should have been #1 in the mile/1600 All-American team.

Comment

Skipper set a national record in one of the most hotly contested events on the program. Clement (and Kilmartin) did not. End of story.

Comment

How is Xavier Carter - 10.38/20.69/45.88 - two event list leader and #3 in another NOT part of this argument ???

Comment

I'm not sure AOY is an honor you really want to win.

In looking over the list of past winners, I was struck by how few of them panned out at national and world class levels post-high school despite their great high school accomplishments.

Comment

First of all, winning Gatorade HIGH SCHOOL ATHLETE OF THE YEAR were selected by a panal of nationwide sportswriters and commentators. You have to be the "nations best in the Track and Field". So why didn't Tommy get it, since he's the best. Winning the Gatorade Award is more important than winning the AOY by Track and Field news. What do T&FN give the winner? Nothing. At the Gatorade Award show all the nominiee were seen at the ESPY award show in Hollywood. Since Kerron win the inaugural award from Gatorade doesn't it make sense that he also should win the AOY by T&FN's. Kerron perform very well in 2003, in '02 he had Kenneth and Bershawn to run with thoughout the season, and he had no competition, but he stills find a way to prevail from all of the negative energy that you'll have put on him. As I recall he ran a 50.13 (in the rain) without competition at JO's this year. As that being said, wouldn't make sense that he will probably run under 49.3 if he had competition this year. I've seen the boy run a couple of times he's the real deal (that's my opinion). Ok you have to wait to see what he does in Track next year at the University of Florida.

Comment

>First of all, winning Gatorade HIGH SCHOOL
                          >ATHLETE OF THE YEAR were selected by a panal of
                          >nationwide sportswriters and commentators. You
                          >have to be the "nations best in the Track and
                          >Field". So why didn't Tommy get it, since he's
                          >the best. Since Kerron win the inaugural award
                          >from Gatorade doesn't it make sense that he also
                          >should win the AOY by T&FN's.

There are many AOY awards at a variety of levels. There's no reason why one athletes should win ALL of the AOY awards simply because he or she won a particular award. As for the Gatorade award, what makes a group of sportswriters who never see a high school track meet, much less actually pay attention, qualified to select the best track athletes. TFN has tried to compile the most knowledgeable folks in the sport to make the selection. Whether an athlete gets a spot on a TV show seems to be a poor criterion for choosing which award is the most important.

Comment

Well the sportswriters must have some kind of asknowedgement of what the athlete is doing in his or her sport. That is just your opinion and might I add that it's wrong!! Allyson Felix won the award for the girl, when she was in high school. You have be in the spot light, magazines and TV etc. That is why the sportswrites from Sports Illustrated and ESPN can pick a winner. Because they know of the athlete accomplishments.

Comment

Have any of you actually looked at the stats and records? HSRs by Skipper and Kilmartin. Bith won the big post-season HS meets. Carter and Clement were good but Skipper and Kilmartin were better.

Kilmartin has the biggest gripe, MUCH bigger than Carter or Clement. Kilmartin got the HSR in the DEC, was ranked #2 in the PV, and was one of the top 6 performers in three other events.

Comment

Working...
                              X