• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    Re: Tommy Skipper does deserve AOY!!!!

>Tommy Skipper not only broke the all-time PV
    >record for American HS athletes, but he is also
    >an excellent sprinter, Jav thrower and hurdler.
    >In addition to breaking the nat. record at the
    >Sacramento meet, he represented the US in the
    >Juniors worlds. Yes, he will be an Oregon Duck
    >next year and he and Kilmartin will meet at the
    >NCAAs. Kilmartin is good, but he seems to have
    >peaked, while Skipper is getting better and
    >better. He was the ONLY choice that makes sense.
    >

They'll meet in what? Kilmartin would be doing the decathlon and Skipper would be doing the pole vault. It's possible Kilmartin would also go for the open pole vault, but not very likely. It's pretty difficult to completely focus on the decathlon and do an open event. Also, I heard Kilmartin is suffering through some bad injuries right now.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Re: Tommy Skipper does deserve AOY!!!!

Tommy Skipper not only broke the all-time PV record for American HS athletes, but he is also an excellent sprinter, Jav thrower and hurdler. In addition to breaking the nat. record at the Sacramento meet, he represented the US in the Juniors worlds. Yes, he will be an Oregon Duck next year and he and Kilmartin will meet at the NCAAs. Kilmartin is good, but he seems to have peaked, while Skipper is getting better and better. He was the ONLY choice that makes sense.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Re: Tommy Skipper does not deserves AOY

yeah, but it isnt athlete of next year. it is for the current year. since some of you think it was a close contest we should look at who might win in a fight though. i beat skipper could beat down any of the other athletes.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Why dont everybody wait until next year to see what those guy's going to do, we cant just sit here and predict what they're going to do. Because they can improve.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Look for T-Skip to be a Duck next year.

Leave a comment:

• abinferno
    replied

It wouldn't matter if he did train for the decathlon, he still wouldn't win.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

First, I didn't say he "would" win the decathlon. I said he "could" win as a freshman. He won't because he'll be training for the vault.
    Second, HJ Fan, you need to do your homework on Tommy Skipper. Your facts are out of date.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Skipper won't be winning anything next year in college, as all reports are he's not competing collegiatly in order to train for the trials

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

>Skipper's a great selection for AOY. He's the
    >only one in the bunch that can step into the '04
    >NCAA's and win the PV and/or the decathlon as a
    >true freshman. That's all the criteria I need.
    >And when he finally commits to the decathlon,
    >Kilmartin will be a afterthought.

Sorry, he's not winning the decathlon. Maybe Aki Haikennen from tech.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Skipper's a great selection for AOY. He's the only one in the bunch that can step into the '04 NCAA's and win the PV and/or the decathlon as a true freshman. That's all the criteria I need. And when he finally commits to the decathlon, Kilmartin will be a afterthought.

Leave a comment:

• RMc
    replied

>But all I'm saying is that
    >Kerron has been dominant in the hurdles for two
    >years being #1 in three events and #2 in 110H. If
    >that's not a accomplishment for any person let me
    >know..Everybody has their up and down and they
    >always find their way back to the top.

I agree that he's an outstanding athlete, and that the difference among the top 3-4 HS boys this year was quite small. He just didn't rank as high the the TFN voters as with the Gatorade voters, so he won one award and not the other.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Yes the gatorade is bigger and higher than T&FN awards, but it all consist of the same athletes in Track and field. Over 500,485 male athletes have been up for that award. Each state have a winner and one National winner for track. What are the odds of Tommy and Kilmartin winning that award? Obviously gatorade is not only looking at your performance on the track, as well as the performance in the class room. The nominees of gatorade is between 2002-2003, if you look at the national winners of each sports you'll see the big names like Kyle Wright, LeBron James, Candance Parker and many more. Of course, if you win a particular award it does not mean that you should win everything. But all I'm saying is that Kerron has been dominant in the hurdles for two years being #1 in three events and #2 in 110H. If that's not a accomplishment for any person let me know..Everybody has their up and down and they always find their way back to the top.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Look whatever..I'm not going to sit here and fight and see who's right and who's wrong. Let's just drop the whole thing.

Leave a comment:

• RMc
    replied

>Well the sportswriters must have some kind of
    >asknowedgement of what the athlete is doing in
    >his or her sport. That is just your opinion and
    >might I add that it's wrong!! Allyson Felix won
    >the award for the girl, when she was in high
    >school. You have be in the spot light, magazines
    >and TV etc. That is why the sportswrites from
    >Sports Illustrated and ESPN can pick a winner.
    >Because they know of the athlete accomplishments.

But you haven't answered the question: Why should TFN defer it's choice to Gatorade/ESPY? Why can't it have a separate choice? The movie industry has multiple awards that go to different individuals. Should the Golden Globes all go to the Academy Award winners because the Oscars are higher profile? I don't follow that somehow once an athlete wins once award, that all other awards should follow. The split in the awards only indicates that there were several equally deserving athletes, and differences in perceptions and judgements lead to different winners. Felix winning both awards just confirms her dominance this year.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

>Well the sportswriters must have some kind of
    >asknowedgement of what the athlete is doing in
    >his or her sport. That is just your opinion and
    >might I add that it's wrong!! Allyson Felix won
    >the award for the girl, when she was in high
    >school. You have be in the spot light, magazines
    >and TV etc. That is why the sportswrites from
    >Sports Illustrated and ESPN can pick a winner.
    >Because they know of the athlete accomplishments.

This is line of thinking is so wrong it defies reason. First off, Felix won for the very reason that she was in high school. It's a high school award! Kerron had an excellent season, he's a great kid, will probably have an outstanding career, but... he is the 3rd fastest 300m hurdler in history and ran slower in the 400m hurdles than his junior year. Hard to match that against a national record, when national records don't come nearly a frequently as they used to. Heck, Xavier Carter's season and Donovan Kilmartin's look better then Clement's. If you think the "Gatorade sportwriters" and ESPN follow high school sports and high school track in particular with meticulous care for details you need to wake up to reality. I'll trust TFN over those yahoos every time

Leave a comment:

Working...
X