Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: treadmill vs Street running

thanks el supremo. Like all good t & f fans you are one of the good guys.

Steve

Comment

Ya gotta love Canada. 10 miles yesterday in shorts and a t-shirt. Today-65mph winds and blowing snow. Couldn't wait to get out into it.

Comment

A real Canadian would have worn shorts and a t-shirt in the wind and snow too. eh?

Comment

I wonder why so many threadmills are limited to 10 mph. I have seen a few 12 mph thread mills.

Comment

"I wonder why so many threadmills are limited to 10 mph. I have seen a few 12 mph thread mills."

Mainly becuase most people can't run any faster, and the liability issues. Commercial units can usually be programmed to any top speed up to 15 mph by the club/YMCA. Most set their units to 10mph, but I have a buddy who is faster, so I supplied him with the codes, and he changes the treadmill speed to 15 mph for his workouts, then resets it when he is done. Many top home units now will go 11-12 mph (plenty fast for even top guys for winter training).

Comment

>A real Canadian would have worn shorts and a
              >t-shirt in the wind and snow too. eh?

Yeah. True that...getting soft.

Comment

Question: "I was wondering if running on a treadmill for 60 mins will do me just as good as running on the street."
                Answer: No, running on a treadmill will not do you just as good as running on the street.

Geez, was that so hard?

Comment

my intuition agrees, but WHY doesn't it do as much good ?

Comment

There is a simple principle in track and field training that is often overlooked. That principle is this; any training that takes you out of a natural running position- even slightly, can cause problem over the long haul. With treadmills, a slightly forward foot strike with and an exagerated ground contact is necessary to maintain balance.
                    And before you brainiacs start rattling off successful athletes who use treadmills, that was not my point. Of course they can be used successfully to supplement training- and a few athletes of note have used them extensively with success. But an apples to apples comparison always puts treadmills a distant 2nd to actual running.

Comment

There are 2 primary components to distance running - cardiovascular conditioning (heart/lung development and efficiency and vascular development throughout the body) and muscular conditioning and muscle memory/efficiency.

Treadmill running (or for that matter using an elliptical or biking aka Gabe Jennings) will improve or maintain the cardiovascular component given the proper intensity. Treadmill running does improve muscular develpoment/conditioning as well, and while you won't get in 3:35 1500 shape on a treadmill you can drastically improve your conditioning on one.

I know of an athlete who trains running 1 day per week and elliptical trains 6x per week. On this training she is able to run 60 minutes for 10 miles. Her cardiovascular conditioning drawfs most runners in the area. Indoor training can be monotnous, but damn effective.

Comment

>I know of an athlete
                        >who trains running 1 day per week and elliptical
                        >trains 6x per week. On this training she is able
                        >to run 60 minutes for 10 miles. Her
                        >cardiovascular conditioning drawfs most runners
                        >in the area. Indoor training can be monotnous,
                        >but damn effective.

Interesting. What does she do on the one day that she runs-alternate between intervals/tempo and distance? And if you can tell us, is she just too banged up to run much?

Comment

I quess there would be liability issues with a fast threadmill. The cartoon below has a humorous take on the dangers of the threadmill.

http://atomfilms.shockwave.com/landing/ ... ure=accept

Comment

Here is what you miss if you run on a treadmill:

"We ran through blizzards, thunderstorms, freezing rain, covered bridges, creeks, campgrounds, cemeteries, city parks, parking lots, a nuclear power plant, county fairs, and, once, a church service. We were chased by goats, geese, a crazed ground hog, guards (the nuclear power plant), a motorcycle gang, an armed man in a pickup, a sheriff’s deputy, and dogs both fierce and friendly. We ran when two feet of snow covered the roads and when the wind-chill was thirty below. We ran when it was eighty degrees at seven in the morning. We ran on streets, sidewalks, highways, cinder tracks, dirt roads, golf courses, Lake Erie beaches, bike trails, across yards and along old railroad beds. Seven days a week, twelve months a year, year after year."

http://www.umsl.edu/~natural/number6/hart.html

Comment

MJD -

"Interesting. What does she do on the one day that she runs-alternate between intervals/tempo and distance? And if you can tell us, is she just too banged up to run much?"

She usually runs about 8-10 miles at a pretty good clip (sub 7:00/Mile) over a tough off-road course w/hills (and she repeats the hills as well). She's banged up from CC in college. She's an outlier for sure - but shows what someone w/talent can do on limited running.

Comment

She usually runs about 8-10 miles at a
                                >pretty good clip (sub 7:00/Mile) over a tough
                                >off-road course w/hills (and she repeats the
                                >hills as well). She's banged up from CC in
                                >college. She's an outlier for sure - but shows
                                >what someone w/talent can do on limited running.

Thenks el supremo. I'll have to give those ellipticals a try. I always just seem to be putting in time on the bike and stair climbers-especially the latter. Do you think the ellipticals have any kind of recuperative effect on the muscles because they seem to simulate running? They must use the same muscles or you wouldn't be able to knock off 10 miles once a week that easily I don't think.

Comment

Working...
                                X