Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bekele for AOY

It was suggested taht I repost this on this forum:

I just finished watching my tape of the WC 5000m final and it confirms to me that I would have to pick Bekele for AOY Honors. He absolutely dominated in XC (someone said that would count, but Khannouchi was a near miss last year w/o racing on the track). He destroyed an army of Kenyans that were making a conscious effort to take him out. In track, 3 times he ran inside 13min for 5k, and he had two 10ks under 27min including the WC final with a sub13 second half. He easily won the WAF 3000m, but his WC performances are what seperated him from el Guerrouj. First the 10k was absolutely astonishing. To close the last 5k in sub13min is incredible. Starting to tick off 61s, Steve Cram remarked how those were his splits in some of his 1500s. He defeated Gebrselassie, the greatest distance runner ever in incredible time, and then came back a few days later for the 5000m final.

But instead of sitting back and saving himself following that 5k-effort 10k, he takes it out. What fucking balls. He knows that el Guerrouj could likely blow him away in a kickers race, so Bekele takes it out in 60.5,60.5,62.5,61.8 for the first mile and leads through 3k @ 7:45. He made the race. When Kipchoge was leading ith about 3min to go, he looked back and signaled for Bekele to do some leading. Instead of sitting back, he goes up and takes the lead. When many big races jog until the last lap, or the Grand Prix 3k final last year is won in 8:30?!?!, Bekele risked. That is just one of the gutsiest performances I can remember in recent times.

Even if you judged el Guerrouj and Bekele having equally as successful seasons (1 WC title, 1 secondary medal, some very fast races during the season) Bekele's total domination of XC and el Guerrouj's lack of an indoor season (save his 2mi WR attempt) I think Bekele must deserve the AOY title.

My two cents.

Re: Bekele for AOY

You have to look at Sanchez, Olsson, Johnson, and even Cherono before moving on to ElG and Bekele. Sanchez was undefeated and ran a great time at the WCs. Olsson was dominant in his event. Johnson had great competitive record and ran fast, and Cherono was more dominant in this distance event than Bekele, and beat ElG in a 5k.

Comment

Christian Olsson does have merit, WIC, WOC, by far the best and dominant TJer of the year.

Shaheen was absolutely dominant in the 3kSC, and showed great form with his 12:48 5k.

Sanchez also dominated his event.

However, neither Shaheen or Sanchez had a winter season (by default that their evetns prevent it). Olsson is the only one that I see comparable to Bekele, both having dominating winter seasons. But I think that the calibur of the fiels that Bekele vanquished in his 10ks and his XC season were greater.

Comment

>Christian Olsson does have merit, WIC, WOC, by
        >far the best and dominant TJer of the
        >year.

Shaheen was absolutely dominant in the
        >3kSC, and showed great form with his 12:48
        >5k.

Sanchez also dominated his
        >event.

However, neither Shaheen or Sanchez had
        >a winter season (by default that their evetns
        >prevent it). Olsson is the only one that I see
        >comparable to Bekele, both having dominating
        >winter seasons. But I think that the calibur of
        >the fiels that Bekele vanquished in his 10ks and
        >his XC season were greater.>

Maybe one of the T&FN guys can chime in but I'm not sure that World XC is factored into an athlete's season all that much.

Comment

Cross country is NOT taken into consideration for AOY.

Comment

Then why are roads taken in consideration?

Comment

>Then why are roads taken in consideration?

Just the marathon I think.

Comment

Is indoor track taken into consideration?

I know rules are rules, but when I think of 'athletics' I think of it being track (in and out), cross country and roads.

Comment

the TFN AOY is just for track & field, no road racing, no cross-country or no indoors (which has it's own AOY).

Comment

>the TFN AOY is just for track & field, no road
                    >racing, no cross-country or no indoors (which has
                    >it's own AOY).

Except the marathon right?

Comment

but then what of khannouchi last year? he almost won.
                      and paula?

Comment

How about underwater chess? Does that count?

Oops, wrong thread.

Comment

The only road event considered is the marathon because it is on the Olympic and WC programs. The other events, xc, roads, indoors, are not, so they don't count.

Comment

>I know rules are rules, but when I think of 'athletics' I think of it being track (in and out), cross country and roads.>>

Exactly! Do you see the word "athletics" anywhere in our title or mission statement? We're TRACK & FIELD news, not RUNNING news.

Comment

then why does it show up in the magazine?

i just think it's too bad; bekele busted his ass in the winter.

i'll be interested to see what you guys come up with.

Comment

Working...
                              X