Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• May Cover a Downer

First off, congratulations T&FNews on your 750th edition! Quite an accomplishment. However, the May cover of Deena Kastor did absolutely nothing for me, and I am a devout distance running fanatic. She simply did not perform, there was no special section on her in the issue (kept looking for it as she was the cover-girl).

I believe I would rather have seen Boston Marathon Champion Robert Cheruiyot on the cover, or split shots of M/W's winners. Amazing that T&F was so "dead" during the time the issue was generated.

Anyhow, since the covers have been discussed in the past, I just wanted to add my two cents and I am renewing until the end of time. Even with the Internet, nothing can replace a hand-held medium of T&F information.

I am already looking forward to June's issue and perhaps Ryan Hall's first cover! Then in July, perhaps Galen Rupp!!! American distance running is stronger than ever...

What he said.

Comment

Re: May Cover a Downer

Originally posted by Coach Rod
      ...Amazing that T&F was so "dead" during the time the issue was generated. ...
      The sport was "dead" for the same reason that Boston was nasty: talk to the weatherman. Texas Relays truncated, other meets cancelled or shortened.

That was the story of the time period; can you imagine a cover that summed it up better?

Comment

However, the May cover of Deena Kastor did absolutely nothing for me, and I am a devout distance running fanatic. ...
        Maybe it was one of those "lifetime award" things. Our Deena ain't gettiin' any younger.

Comment

[quote=George P.]
          Originally posted by "Coach Rod":3o2skq2l
          However, the May cover of Deena Kastor did absolutely nothing for me, and I am a devout distance running fanatic. ...
          Maybe it was one of those "lifetime award" things. Our Deena ain't gettiin' any younger.[/quote:3o2skq2l]
          She was on the cover less than one year ago (June 2006).

Comment

That was the story of the time period; can you imagine a cover that summed it up better?[/quote]

Why not a long time invincibility broken (Tadesse & Bekele)?

Comment

How about "S**t Happens" on DK's Boston cover? Or would that be in poor taste?

Comment

Maybe fans huddled under umbrellas (or packed into the press box) in Austin? The caption could be of the genre "and the rains came". Maybe they are saving that for next month, with photos of lightning bolts. Really, bad weather was the keynote of the early relay season. As the original poster roughly stated, it is pretty hard to photograph wind. Ceptin hurrcanes and tornados :evil:

Comment

Actually, good point. Would have been nice to see Tadesse on the cover or the throngs of Kenyans going wild while athlete after athlete passes out on the XC course... loved the picture on page 24... Tadesse's eyes are pretty much rolling into the back of his head, like he's about to pass out and he wins!

Comment

No chance of a Cover from the World Cross. It's tough enough for us to stay "relevant" in this internet world. Imagine our trying to appear even remotely current putting a cross country race from March on the cover of a magazine that most people won't see until after the Penn Relays, the height of the domestic track season. Deena sells, Tadesse does not.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                      Deena sells, Tadesse does not.
                      Tadesse not only doesn't "sell." He's practically not mentioned at all in the two pages devoted to Mombasa.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                        ...Amazing that T&F was so "dead" during the time the issue was generated. ...
                        The sport was "dead" for the same reason that Boston was nasty: talk to the weatherman. Texas Relays truncated, other meets cancelled or shortened.

That was the story of the time period; can you imagine a cover that summed it up better?

Just got my copy yesterday and my initial gut response was negative. I didn't blame T&FN, knowing how long in advance covers need to be chosen/sent to the printer. I just wished a positive could've been accentuated instead--like too bad the shot of Deena and the pic of Manzano on the frontispiece couldn't have been reversed.

But then on the drive home, I kept thinking about it and realized how utterly appropriate and timely the cover was this month. Not just for track and field, but for the world, as global warming--and the resultant screwed up weather patterns--is a front burner issue right now.

Sometimes we tend to burrow into our smaller world of track and field; this was a cover that represented a truly international issue going way beyond the sport while at the same time highlighting the repercussions on the sport.

I don't know if this was a planned move or an inadvertent "go with the gut" thing, but I respect you folks tremendously for doing it. Thanks.

Comment

letter to the editor than came in today (from Minnesota)

<<Dear Editor:

Just got my copy of the May issue yesterday and my initial gut response to the cover was negative. I didn't blame T&FN, knowing how long in advance covers need to be chosen/sent to the printer. I just wished a positive could've been accentuated instead--like too bad the shot of Deena and the pic of Manzano on the frontispiece couldn't have been reversed.

But then on the drive home, I kept thinking about it and realized how utterly appropriate and timely the cover was this month. Not just for track and field, but for the world, as global warming--and the resultant screwed up weather patterns--is a front burner issue right now.

Sometimes we tend to burrow into our smaller world of track and field; this was a cover that represented a truly international issue going way beyond the sport while at the same time highlighting the repercussions on the sport.

I don't know if this was a planned move or an inadvertent "go with the gut" thing, but I respect you folks tremendously for doing it. Thanks.>>

Comment

[quote="gh"]l. Not just for track and field, but for the world, as global warming--and the resultant screwed up weather patterns--is a front burner issue right now.
                            quote]

Thank god for global warming otherwise the Texas relays would have been rather chilly!
                            phsstt!

Comment

a cover related to mombassa would have been the best option in my eyes...

any photos with bekele staggering...or tadesse victory

or perhaps kiplagat crossing the finish with the dutch flag ...

or maybe something with the crazed kenyan fans there...

lots of options...

Comment

Working...
                              X