Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can u have a wind-aided 400?

Does anyone know if there is such a thing as a "wind aided" 400, like with a strong wind down the backstretch which only lasts during that portion of the race, or with the breeze starting to blow as the runners enter the homestretch. There seem to be a few freaky 400s where nearly everyone blasts their PRs and then spends a career chasing that performance, like the women's Atlanta final.

Re: Can u have a wind-aided 400?

Wuz up man. No you cant have a 400 wind-aided time. Anything above 200 and has wind behind it, it's not wind-aided.

Comment

Thanks, I am aware that we measure the wind behind events up to and including 200 metres. What I am curious about is whether there has been any consideration given to the possibility that a 400m race could in fact be run in conditions where a short surging wind gives the runners a clear improvement in performance. Do we assume that the wind blows more or less equally in one direction for the duration of the race? How much can winds vary within a 45-50 second span? I'm not proposing any thought be given to distances greater than 400, but there seem to be some one lap races, like Perec, Freeman, et al in Atlanta, or Koch and Bryzgina in Canberra, where some performances were huge improvements on previous PRs and were never approached again.

Comment

The head of the British Association in the early 1980's (who's name escapes me)was so clueless about the sport that we nearly died laughing when he asked a hammer thrower if his performance was legal!

Comment

"Does anyone know if there is such a thing as a "wind aided" 400"

Never really considered that before. I suppose that if the wind gusted at the appropriate instant times could be reduced by a good margin. I doubt that the timing would ever be ruled invalid under such circumstances either.

Comment

Absolutely! Although I've never seen it anywhere but in a horseshoe stadium (i.e., one that's open at one end), and other buildings in the area cooperate.

We had just such an animal when I was in college. The wind roared in on one straightaway, hit the closed end of the stadium and cruised out the other. It was such a notable effect that when we did warmup windsprints on the football field, we'd say "hard or easy?" If you chose hard, that meant you went w/ the headwind both ways, whereas the easy was tailwind both ways.

One thing that gets overlooked about Canberra (site of not only the cited 400s, but also the longstanding women's WR in the 4x1) is that it's at almost 600m of altitude.

Comment

When we used to run in the Stanford football stadium (before Angel Field was anything but a dirt oval) the wind could be strong in your back on the home straight and be still on the back straight, so that was essentially wind-aided.

Comment

>there
                >seem to be some one lap races, like Koch and Bryzgina
                >in Canberra, where some performances were huge
                >improvements on previous PRs and were never
                >approached again.

There's some speculation about that Canberra race. On some video footage, in the back-straight, the flags are blowing one way, and in the home straight, the flags are flying the other way. Therefore, in a freak-of-nature-moment, there was a swirling wind, following the athletes all the way around the track!

Comment

Wind-aided 400?

I love this site ... where else can I see this type of discussion ... if I tried to talk about this with my wife she would punch me ... hard.

Seriously ... thanks.

Comment

Re: Wind-aided 400?

For anyone who wants to see that Canberra WR race, go to:

http://bubonicfilms.com/flicks/TnF/kochR.WMV

Comment

22.4 first 200!! When we will see that clean? 2020?

Comment

Thanks Garry and Jon for the notes on Canberra, it makes a little more sense now.

Comment

At the 1958 Commonwealth Games in Cardiff, Ted Sampson of England won his 440 yards quarter-final in 46.90 (46.64 for 400) and observers noted that the swirling wind helped him the whole way around the track. The stadium was not a horseshoe, but did allow wind to get in at the corners

Comment

>For anyone who wants to see that Canberra WR
                            >race, go
                            >to:

http://bubonicfilms.com/flicks/TnF/kochR.WM

Man, she would kick my ass. She wasn't even winded after finishing. After I blast a 400, my legs shut down and I get a headache.

Comment

>>there
                              >seem to be some one lap races, like Koch
                              >and Bryzgina
                              >in Canberra, where some
                              >performances were huge
                              >improvements on previous
                              >PRs and were never
                              >approached
                              >again.

There's some speculation about that
                              >Canberra race. On some video footage, in the
                              >back-straight, the flags are blowing one way, and
                              >in the home straight, the flags are flying the
                              >other way. Therefore, in a
                              >freak-of-nature-moment, there was a swirling
                              >wind, following the athletes all the way around
                              >the track!

That subject (about the wind during this race) is brought nearly all the time when people mention how fast Marita Koch's 1st 200m was (22.47s!!!)
                              It particularly seems to effect her in the back-staright as analysis shows that she coevered that section of the race(100-200m)in 10.80s!!!
                              That's faster than many last 100m of a WOman's 200m race!

Comment

Working...
                              X