Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Greer Journal- Javelin Spiked!

http://www.trackandfieldnews.com/tfn/di ... .jsp?id=88

A glimpse into the not so glamorous side of a professional javelin thrower's life.

Re: New Greer Journal- Javelin Spiked!

I'll answer why the men's javelin has not been an event at one of the Golden Spike Tour events. It is simple - there are not enough decent javelin throwers in the U.S. to have it at IAAF GP level. In a limited format meet (14-15 events), the men's shot and discus have been more attractive events to stage because of the quality of the available athletes.

I'd love to have the javelin at the adidas Oregon Track Classic. The crowd loves it when there are good javelin throwers. But without spending a lot of money to bring over several 80m throwers from Europe, a field here would consist of Greer, a couple of higher 70m throwers and whoever else I could get to fill the field. Compare that to the shot and discus where it has been possible in recent years to get five of the top throwers in the world and it is easy to see why the javelin is left out.

Comment

I remember reading an interview (Petranoff?)where he said that any college pitcher who could throw 90+ mph or a quarterback who could throw a football 60+yds, could be at least a 250' Jav thrower. True/False?

I guess that's where our jav throwers are.

Comment

Thats a bit debatable. I'm sure at least half of them would have the potential to throw 70m, but some wouldn't have the correct build nor the desire to train hard enough. Athletics is not ever going to be as lucrative as football, baseball and basketball and thats were the athletes are going to go. Certainly they are out there just gotta look...

Comment

Working...
        X