Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who would the U.S. choose for the 2004 Olympics?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who would the U.S. choose for the 2004 Olympics?

Last night I was reading T&F News and came across some info about P. Radcliffe and her plans for 2004 ... it struck me that she knows she will be the one to choose what event she runs in Athens ... what a luxury ... so, my question is ...

If the U.S.A. had “automatic qualifiers”, who do you think should/would be chosen by a committee to compete regardless of Olympic Trials performance?

Re: Who would the U.S. choose for the 2004 Olympics?

The Mile/1500meters

Lunn
    Berryhill
    Stember

The 3:55 bunch.

Comment

Back in 1964 they had a "Semi final"Olympic Trials, with the top 6 then advancing to a "Final" Olympic trials about 6 weeks later. The winner of the SFOT was guarnateed a spot on the team as long as he showed he was rreasinably fit at the FOT, even if he was not in the top 3 at the FOT. I guess the advantages of this were outweighed by the disadvantages as it was never done again.

Comment

This is exactly why we should NOT choose. Someone is going to make a big breakthrough - maybe as late as the trials - and 'upset' the applecart (for the good).

Comment

Not that what we say here will change anything, either for next year or even the farther future, but to address an old subject, what SHOULD be the way we select our team ? Other than 1964 we've used the tried and true "top 3 or tough luck " approach.... ask people like Harrison Dillard in 1948 or Dan O'Brien in 1992.

In various people's Humble Opinions, what should it be.

The one advantage of the current approach is it eliminate subjectivity... but do we get the "best" team as a result ? Assuredly not.

Comment

I believe the only event which should be "chosen" is the marathon, due to it's toll on the body. Simply set a mark (i.e. 2:09:00 or better for men, 2:23:00 for women) and if an athlete runs the time on an allowed course within 15 months of the Olympic final AND has a leads the second American on the list by X minutes (2 men, 3 women) they get an automatic qualifier - only one athlete gets the auto qualifier.

As an example, if KK runs 2:07:00 and Cullpepper is second on the list at 2:09:30, KK gets an auto Oly birth. If Cullpepper is 2:08:30, both run the trials.

Such a system would likely give KK and Drossin auto births - OK by me.

Comment

If you can eliminate subjectivity then you have won!

Comment

I think the qualifying trials standard for the Marathon should be lowered to 2:15. This would;
                1. Make US runners faster
                2. Trim the field. It is unlikely 2:20 guys will qualify anyway.

I would also lower the 5000 meters trial standard to 13:35. A 13:40 5k runners if he finishes in the top 3 will have a hard time getting the Olympic standard.

Comment

Gabe

Comment

Working...
                  X