Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How to run the 400m??

might be interested in some stuff i posted on IAAF board on splits on the 400m

the whole thread is on

http://www.iaaf.org/community/forums/Li ... icID=15400

whereas the bit on the 400 is

"i've tried a few 400m as well

suppose you have a 44s guy with splits of 21/23

for a flat-out even pace race from gun -> tape ->

(interestingly it comes out as butch's time - perhaps it indicates that he was more likely a 44s guy,who on that occasion ran as close to perfect a race as he could - i remeber he ran that fairly even-paced)

a 44 guy with 21.5/22.5 ->

so a slight room for improvement

as a wild runner who can do 20.5/23.5 ->

now we live in a different era & 45s is more a benchmark

21/24 ->

21.5/23.5 ->

these i believe are the commonest type of splits for a 45s guy,so i would say,on the basis of their ability at that time,the fastest they could probably run in their ''perfect'' race is ~ 44.3 (? raquil type of guy)

22/23 ->

so a 45s guy with splits ~ 1s apart is only likely ever to run ~0.3s faster in his best race"

Comment

unfortunately i can't do anymore estimates for you for a while,as i'm awaiting delivery of a new Dell & unfortunately gave my old one away prematurely to a relative (borrowed his clapped out gateway in return)

i'll try some for you in a week or so

Comment

Not to look a gift horse in the mouth, but hopefully your new Dell will be able to crank out posts that aren't 75% empty space and almost impossible to follow.

Comment

I think you have to look at it on a percentage basis. The first 200 might be about 6.67% slower than an all out 200 and the second 200 still another 6.67% slower.

The above gives a 20 flat sprinter splits of:

21.3 + 22.7 = 44.0

For MJ the 19.32 is a bit of an anomaly and far superior to his 400 meter time. A 200 in 19.6 converts using the above formula to:

20.9 + 22.2 = 43.1

(of course, MJ splits are more even than that but he is certainly abnormal in a positive sense.)

A high school sprinter with 22.7 speed converts to:

24.2 + 25.7 = 49.9

The statheads can play with the percentages based on more exhaustive data, but you get the idea.

Comment

>The 2nd fastest is 20.7s by Karl Honz during his
            >44.70 alos in the year 1972.>>

Don't know
            >where "Pierre Jean" got his splits, but I
            >recall T&FN doing some extensive work with a
            >prehistoric-vintage video machine (big wide tape
            >as I remember) post-Munich, and we came up
            >with
            Honz 20.1
            Sang 20.2
            Badenski
            >20.3
            Jenkins 20.4

It was an absolutely insane
            >race. Consensus in the stands at the time was
            >that the U.S. not having made the final had
            >produced the most exciting mass 4x4 ever seen,
            >something that wouldn't have happened otherwise.

The 20.7 first 200m by Karl Honz is quoted in "athlétisme, les courses" by Alain Billouin (1985).

From the list quoted by X King, i have to correct the split time by Pérec in Tokyo: French newspapers as well as ATFS Annual 1992 said 22.61, but it appears to be 22.82 in the IAAF World Champs handbook 2003. From tapes analysis, it's actually 22.82 and not 22.61.
            ATFS Annual '88/89 says that Valerie Brisco ran the first 200m in 22.5 in the 1987 TAC 400m final (missing that way the individual team...). Can someone tell me what were her other 100m and 300m splits during that race?

Comment

It is interesting to note that in the '52 O.G. when they ran semis and final on the same day! McKenley for once ran a very conservative first 200 in 22.7 and finished with a 23.2 for 45.9.
              Rhoden who won, also held back and ran 22.2-23.7 for 45.9. (Rhoden held the w-rec at 45.8)

Comment

The 1st 100m- Get out hard and establish the tempo.
                The 2nd 100m- Relax down the back stretch concentrate on long strides taking up the track.
                The 3rd 100- Bring it on. Burn that turn.
                The 4th 100- Concentrate on relaxation and technique and finish strong!

Comment

"The 1st 100m- Get out hard and establish the tempo.
                  The 2nd 100m- Relax down the back stretch concentrate on long strides taking up the track.
                  The 4th 100- Concentrate on relaxation and technique and finish strong!"

The Michael Johnson formula.

Comment

If I could only give one piece of advice for race day, I'd say don't forget to run next to the lane line on the curves. If you run in the middle of the lane on the curves, you are running an extra distance equal to one half the distance of the stagger at the start.

For a non-elite view of splits, I ran 25 something, 26 something for a total of 51.51(a) in my PR last summer. My 200 PR was 24.33(a) so it fits your formula. Previously I was going out in 26 something (too slow) and running 53s before I realized I needed to go out faster. And I ran next to the lane line on the curve for the first time.

Comment

If you can run 51.51, you should be able to run faster than 24.33 (unless your aerobic strength is ridiculously high).

Comment

I agree that I should be able to run faster then 24.33(a) when I ran 51.51(a). If I had raced a couple more times after that 400 I might have lowered me 200 time too, but that was pretty much the end of my season.

If I get down to that 400 time again this year, I expect to run at least high 23s for 200 meters. I used to be an 800 runner in college, so my 200 times are not as strong as my 400 times yet.

Comment

he 1st 100m- Get out hard and establish the tempo.
                          The 4th 100- Concentrate on relaxation and technique and finish strong!

Where was this info when I was in high school. Using this formula is akin to an art form.

Comment

The 3rd 100- Bring it on. Burn that
                            >turn.

The Michael
                            >Johnson formula.

Comment

Wait a moment. How does the distance of running next to the lane line all the way around (straights and curves) compare to running next to the lane line only on the curves and running in the middle of the lane on the straights?

If nobody knows the exact distance or can find the information, do we have a mathematician in the house? Opinions are okay too but I'd like to know the difference in distance, if any.

Comment

number of inches running wide of the line TIMES Pi EQUALS the extra distance you're running around one turn.

If you were to run in any of lanes 2 through 9, and ran in the middle of a 40" lane instead of legally adjacent to the lane line, you'd have (for simplicity) 19" x Pi = c. 60".

Comment

Working...
                                X