Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is "Kenya"?

The answer to the Jeopardy question: What country is providing a feeder program of top athletes to Qatar, Denmark and the Netherlands.

Re: What is

I'm not saying what Stephen Cherono, Leonard Mucheru, Abel Cheruiyot and others are doing is right or good for the sport, but can you really blame them?

Careers in track are short. The Kenyan federation doesn't do squat for these guys. It's a terribly corrupt, heavy-handed and incompetent organization. Think of how hard it is to make the Kenyan team from 800-marathon! And then there's always the obligatory dressing down by some worthless official after the Worlds or Olympics, about how the Kenyan showing was dismal and the result of money chasing and the influence of agents.

The Kenyan federation better shape up or they're going to lose even more athletes.

Comment

A few years back, I was having a discussion with someone about the great running being done by the Kenyans. This person asked me who in terms of countries I thought would finally be the one to break the Kenyan stranglehold on world distance racing. Remembering the fall of Rome and knowing the struggles of uniters like Keino, Koskei, etc., when dealing with athlete agents and the Kenyan athletic bureaucracy, I replied, "Kenya."
      The next five years should be something to watch.

Comment

"What is Kenya?"

A beautiful country with top-flight distance runners, whose federation politics plays a key role in defections to other countries.

As long as they meet IAAF rules re: nationality transfers, then why the sour grapes fuss? Many of the transfers are genuine, due to true immigration & marriage. The more blatant cases are unfortunate, but will continue as long as federation politics continue.

Comment

The more blatant
          >cases are unfortunate, but will continue as long
          >as federation politics continue.

Blatant they may be, but as long as they run well and entertain us what difference does it make which country they are running for. They help themselves to improve their standard of life and they bring some attention to their new country. They also help native people of those countries to discover what track and field is all about. See Turkey, Israel, Qatar etc...

Comment

>as long as
            >they run well and entertain us what difference
            >does it make which country they are running for.

bingo.

Comment

The Qatars of this world should also target some of the Caribbean teams as they too have Federations that are corrupt, inept and biased.

Comment

Working...
              X