Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Long jump observation -- more hitch v hang

As to the best hitch vs hang, my modest list (short, as I havn't thought about it in awhile).

Hitch:
    Capt Carl, simply the best.
    Powell, WR, unfortunatly, in Carl's era.
    Pedroso
    Larry Myricks

Hang:
    Emmiyan
    Lutz (Stasi snitch) Dumbrowski

I admit to having never seen Beamon live, so don't know his style. From stills of the 8.90, it looks hang, but I guess I havn't even really thought about the TV footage.

One thing I read somewhere on hang/hitch is that most hangers use a kickout landing, and don't have fall back/drag problems to which hitchers are prey. In other words, hangers get all their jump.

Is this really true?

Comment

As above post said we were all did hang technique in Russia. This is funny because we taught? by the man who perfect the hitchkick!

All Russian jumper have same style in my day. Galina did sometime her own thing in the air but basically she just hang in a natural positioon? Our close rival DDR all did a kind of hitch motion but not really proper hitch.This is interesting that best two europe jumping country do complete doifferent style. I think we did this because of greater lift and angel of take off. We found doing hang and changing a little of the last few run up step we got good height. Some critical say this kind of heigt saying this stop the length but this was not Russian thinking. Soviet Union still dominate? top of women list over 7m. yes ok we have more athlete but very effectiv technique. All top Russian women do hang, Galina, myself, Yelena Belevskaya Khlopotnova ,Berezhnaya, Chen etc etc. Ok some now for Ukraine or Belorussian, but all train under Soviet flag mostly in career. Now Kotova do hang too and she does 7.42!

It seem fashion in jumping is now hitch and not many train hang technique. This is sad and maybe why so many women not doing so good? It seem many women also not really have ANY style in air and do not do a proper style instead do their own positioon in air!

Anyway other story can be interestin also. Russian official support Yelena Belevskaya for gold and not Galina! This drive Galina I remember this. We were all prepared for differenmt meet it seem, some for indoor, some for Cup meeting and for Seoul Olympic .Russian want Yelena to win this and not Galina. Even after world record 7.52 they still groom? Yelena for Olympic titel. This was the way it work. Galina jump so far in training up to 7.70 but she was very small physique and could not take all training requirement on the body.

Comment

it is absolutely true that nothing can be done to increase distance or flight pattern of the center of mass after takeoff. the key is to remember that it is the center of mass that cannot be changed. however, it is possible to move the body around the center of mass and place it in a position that is most favorable for maximum distance.

think about it, if you center of mass (COM) is around your belly button, there is quite a bit of body on either side of it. the key is to land as if you were sitting on the floor with your legs in front of you and your body perpendicular to your legs, not in a pike position. the pike position puts your much of your body behind the center of mass (it ends up closer to your knees)and the sand contact comes to early (i.e. marion jones). the seated position will put you COM as far back into your hips as possible. as long as the leg collapse is proper, allowing the COM to complete its unalterable path through the sand contact made by your feet, you have essentially allowed it (your COM) to travel along its natural path. this is why you see so many jumpers looking like they are falling backward at landing.

now, as far as a hitch or hang. the takeoff and initial movements(ie. knee drive thru last ground contact and lead leg recovery) SHOULD be exactly the same regardless of technique. this would mean that whichever style is most comfortable and allows the jumper to be in the most efficent landing position possible would be the best.

Comment

>Like the High Jump, once an athlete has lost contact with the ground there is
          >nothing that can be done to alter the trajectory of the centre of mass. Of
          >course if the wind is blowing against the jumper it will shorten the distance
          >jumped. One enemy of long jumping is forward rotation at take off and the hitch
          >kick was developed to overcome that, on the principle that although the
          >trajectory of the Centre of mass cannot be altered after take off one part of
          >the body can be made to move by altering the positon of another. The only
          >voluntary movements that can be made after losing contact with the ground are
          >internal compensatory movements(for instance, one part of the body can be
          >lifted by lowering another part; one part of the body can be made to rotate
          >faster by making another part slow down) Note how some high jumpers use the
          >head to make the legs clear the bar. None of that answers the question of
          >whether hitch kickers jump farther than hangers.
          Robert Emmiyan, of course,
          >was a hanger, but then we can all quote figures to prove one thing or another.

Well said -but allow me to take it one step farther. A rotation of the legs as in the hitch kick produces a counter rotation of the entire body (conservation of angular momentum) in the opposite direction. Thus the jumper has rotated backwards and in landing, his legs are lifted more to a horizontal position, which appears as a greater "stretchout" in the pit. In actuality, it is the rotation of the legs which has caused this. The hang jumper remains vertical in his jump and his legs on landing are never as horizontal when landing, thus not as long a jump. Look at Igor Ter Ovanesyan for a good example of this.

Comment

Working...
          X