• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Top T&FN Pet Peeves?

of course I meant "4k/12k doubles"

Comment

My pet peeve: Imperial measurements. As a Canadian I am much more familiar with metric measurements.

Btw, Garry, please do NOT listen to the guy who wants Master's coverage re-instated. You had it 20 years ago and it ddidn't interest me then and oesn't interest me now. Same for wheelchair sports and other competitions for the disabled: Good for them that they compete but I don't want to read about it.

Comment

>Haw haw. Look at him. Kind
        >of like Ngeny's high school coach admitting Ngeny
        >hit the age limit for juniors while in HS, yet
        >there he was, running as junior, etc. several
        >years later. Get real, you PC pudnocker.>

Please provide not only the nameof Ngeny's high school coach, but also the name of his HS coach. And a source (other than your rumour mill) for the "admission" would be nice also.

Don't get me wrong, I truly believe that most/many Kenyans are older than claimed, but I also believe in having a source other than some asshole spewing bullshit on the internet.

Comment

"My pet peeve: Imperial measurements. As a Canadian I am much more familiar with metric measurements."

Another Canadian here and I don't get the peeve. Don't they publish measurements in both systems? What's Canada to T&FN - 2% of their readership?

Comment

i think that sometimes for high school they just do imperial, but those distances and heights are generally measured imperially so thats the way it goes.

i know of a college where the vaulters do their standard settings in inches but measure their runs in meters

Comment

As a masters athlete who has medaled several times at the National Championships, please do NOT include masters results. I would be very embarassed for others to know what my medal winning marks are. The whole WAVA scoring system is a joke. According to the WAVA equivalency tables, I am a 6'8 HJ-er, 16' pole vaulter, 14.0 high hurdler, 48' triple jumper, etc. I wasn't even remotely close to these marks when I trained full time in college. I train at about 30% of what I used to. I like the ego strokes in masters, but I know it's a charade.

Comment

>>Haw haw. Look at him. Kind
                >of like Ngeny's
                >high school coach admitting Ngeny
                >hit the age
                >limit for juniors while in HS, yet
                >there he
                >was, running as junior, etc. several
                >years
                >later. Get real, you PC pudnocker.>

Please
                >provide not only the nameof Ngeny's high school
                >coach, but also the name of his HS coach. And a
                >source (other than your rumour mill) for the
                >"admission" would be nice also.

Don't get me
                >wrong, I truly believe that most/many Kenyans are
                >older than claimed, but I also believe in having
                >a source other than some asshole spewing bullshit
                >on the internet.

Then why call anyone an asshole? Brother O' Connel, who used to run St. Francis high, where many of the top Kenyans went to school, said in RW that Ngeny was older than what the media claimed he was when he became a major player on the world stage. It's proably just one of the ways the Kenyans think they can psyche out Westerners. Americans are so gullible generally, they'll believe anything some African tells them, whether it's running 10k to school each day, when the guy grew up half a mile from the school, or that Kenyans would never use drugs, not even an aspirin. Relax.

Comment

So is it a "charade" or an embarassment when TFN reports on High School boys running 48 sec. for the 400 or College women running 35 min. for 10,000, despite tehse marks being well off the open bests? Give the fans credit for being able to adjust the standards to the competition.
                  Don't worry, your marks will probably not be revealed to the world to scoff at anyway, not when there are 60-year-olds running 54 flat for the 400 or 42 year-olds running 3:45 for the 1500 (IMHO for Tony Young to not be mentioned in America's premiere track mag is a travesty).
                  Even if you have lost the "fire" and are only training "30%" doesn't mean that others aren't working damned hard (in addition to other responsibilities) and are producing stories that inspire athletes and fans all up and down the age spectrum.
                  And if Master's athletics starts getting some micro-glimmer of attention from even the track-specific media, the standards will begin to reflect the added light. You might actually have to start "real" training to get those medals

Comment

>for the 1500 (IMHO for Tony Young to not be
                    >mentioned in America's premiere track mag is a
                    >travesty).
                    Even if you have lost the
                    >"fire" and are only training "30%" doesn't
                    >mean that others aren't working damned hard (in
                    >addition to other responsibilities) and are
                    >producing stories that inspire athletes and fans
                    >all up and down the age spectrum.
                    And if
                    >Master's athletics starts getting some
                    >micro-glimmer of attention from even the
                    >track-specific media, the standards will begin to
                    >reflect the added light. You might actually have
                    >to start "real" training to get those medals
                    >

I disagree. Any story that belongs on Oprah doesn't belong in TNFN. Leave the Masters crap where it belongs.

Comment

>psyche out Westerners. Americans are so gullible
                      >generally, they'll believe anything some African
                      >tells them, whether it's running 10k to school
                      >each day, when the guy grew up half a mile from
                      >the school, or that Kenyans would never use
                      >drugs, not even an aspirin. Relax.

I liked the story Kimobwa used to tell - about the lion who slept in a tree along the road where he ran as a child. Whenever he ran by the lion used to swat at his head, resulting in the then-famous running style.

Comment

I disagree. Any story that
                        >belongs on Oprah doesn't belong in TNFN. Leave
                        >the Masters crap where it belongs.

The Great Has-Been has spoken.

Comment

The difference between HS and masters's results (very similar in an absolute sense) is that HS athletes are on the way up and make for great speculative fan talk. We masters get worse every year (generally speaking) and elicit very little fan speculation (how much do think he'll slow down THIS year?). I love track and I enjoy competing in masters track. I actually get excited about entering a new age-group (now I'm really gonna whip those geezers) and I work a little harder in the weight room every year to slow the ticks of the clock. But . . . masters track is an indulgence for all us wanna-bes, so we can prove to ourselves that we're not dead yet. My standard answer to why I still train and compete is, "Because I can."

Comment

Masters -- when appropriate. Like Andrés Espinosa's 2:08 last month. That was news worthy. Or Johnny Gray winning the Millrose 800m @ age 41, or Moses' comeback this year.

That aside, I would like to see some more in-depth information on the training of athletes -- and not just American.

I think that Track and Field News' subscription base is open enough to turn away from the magazine if Americans are not always the focus.

Comment

>So is it a "charade" or an embarassment
                              >ent when TFN reports on High School boys running
                              >48 sec. for the 400 or College women running 35
                              >min. for 10,000, despite tehse marks being well
                              >off the open bests? Give the fans credit for
                              >being able to adjust the standards to the
                              >competition.>

What a miserable comparison.

HSers have the opportunity to improve and become good open athletes. Masters athletes don't.

Just like a baseball fan is interested in players in the minor leagues or a football or basketball fan is interested in college players, track fans have a decided interest in younger athletes.

I don't think baseball fans care very much how well a 45 year old is doing in the beer leagues.

Comment

So by this reasoning, the only "real" competition is the open level, and those with potential to get there. Extending this to it's logical conclusion, women should be dropped from this coverage, since they are clearly beyond hope of measuring up to the men's open standards, even with extensive levels of chemical supplementation. Why waste precious ink on an AOY honor for a runner who runs over TEN MINUTES slower than the top athletes in the marathon (and, yes, appears on "Oprah" as well)?

Since MLB seems to be the gold standard here, the "average fan" isn't interested in following women's fastpitch, any more than "the over-45 Beer Leagues"- why should female T&F athletes get a bye, since they are performing at a clearly inferior level, not even at the level of the top Master's?

The line has obviously been drawn, but it is utterly arbitrary. Athletic competition is about striving for excellence, and it has intrinsic interest at any level where boundaries are being pushed. Comparing recent record-setting trends, with the recent stagnation of World and American open marks, the only boundaries of track and field performance that are being extended in any wholesale fashion is in Master's competition, where records are being laid down at an increasing rate. This as the performance level of the top open competitors steadily deflates. And frankly, as a lifelong T&F fan, the only levels of competition which still hold some decent measure of untainted athleticsm for me are school-level and yes, Master's. If anything it is the "open" (professional) athletes which are engaged in a "charade" of fair and open-spirited competition (see "the THG Crisis" and any other T&F board for the reasons why).

Comment

Working...
                                X