Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    Re: Top T&FN Pet Peeves?

The print version of Track and Field news is impossible to find in any bookstore or retail outlet. I have not seen the magazine for sale in any book store for 5 years.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

>It isn't.

At least on the roads, where there is some substantial ca$h to be had, I'm afraid you're probably right to a degree. On the track, I haven't seen much to be suspicious of. Probably more like open comp was during the mid-late '60's.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

>Perhaps Master's is one of the final
    bastions/backwaters of surviving amateur ideals . . . If the main performance-enhancing
    drug is the anticipated post-competition round of
    beers, then maybe things will stay that way for a
    little longer <

It isn't.

Leave a comment:

• trackstar
    replied

>How about this one? Overuse of the word "hot."
    >"Hot Texas
    >Relays"

But Bill, the Texas Relays ARE hot. I end up sunburned every @#$%! year. Texas high school championships, too.

Lee Nichols
    Austin

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Maybe it's the endorphins of today's 14-miler, but right now I'm thinking that maybe you guys are right- if perhaps for the wrong reasons. Attention from the media onto Master's athletics would likely bring money into the picture, and with it the sundry problems which have fouled mainstream track and field (and all professional sports). Perhaps Master's is one of the final bastions/backwaters of surviving amateur ideals can (even 15-year-olds nowadays are often performing under the weight of competing for scholarship potential, rather than for the love of the sport). If the main performance-enhancing drug is the anticipated post-competition round of beers, then maybe things will stay that way for a little longer

But if and when Tony breaks 4:00, put his freakin' pic in the mag, O.K.?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

>So complain if you
    >will, but T&FN is the greatest, bar none!

I'd agree. But like the athletes whom they cover, they can always strive to be better.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

>Since MLB seems to be the gold standard
    >dard here, the "average fan" isn't interested
    >in following women's fastpitch, any more than
    >"the over-45 Beer Leagues"- why should female
    >T&F athletes get a bye, since they are
    >performing at a clearly inferior level, not even
    >at the level of the top Master's?

Hmmm...interesting question. I still don't want master's reports in T&FN.

Leave a comment:

• Cerutty Boy
    replied

"I'll be posting from now on under protest! ;-) Not even an answer. Wow."

There is a lot of talk about “policing” and “autocratic moderators” on this message board. I for one would like to be on the record for being in support of “zapping” irreverent and unjustified threads and posts. A short anecdote:

Within the last two days I registered at Dyestat and browsed their forums. There is one forum for discussion on “spikes” – absolutely pointless (the forum, not the shoes, generally). It is nice to have forums devoted to regions/states, but from what I saw the Illinois (where I reside) forum is dominated by cocky, immature high school aged runners who think that 55 miles a week is tough and agonize over not breaking the 5 minute mile last season. Any intelligent discussion invariable becomes hopelessly mired in pettiness, pretentiousness, and name-calling. It seems that many of the posters live vicariously through their old high school teams. Then the are “avatars” – those annoying little pictures that appear in every post and “signatures” all of which are frivolous and many of which are longer than the respondent’s actual post. They also destroy the flow of the discussion – if any – that exists, serving only to further the political/social aims of those that create them. This brings me to my next point: political discussion on a track and field message board. There are mammoth threads about “American Nazism” and President Bush’s political dilemmas. I will refrain from comment on the issue of “smilies.” Add the fact that navigating the board is like working your way through the Labyrinth of Crete and you have a very unfavorable situation. It seems that the message board there has grown too large to be controlled, so little effort is made to do so. I very much prefer the smaller scale setup at T&FN: a sense of decorum is maintained to facilitate intelligent discussion.

So complain if you will, but T&FN is the greatest, bar none!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Now by your 'logic' anyone who is trying the best they can is worthy of NATIONAL media attention? Track & Field News caters to a clientele who are interested in male/female, elite HS, college and open, (USA mainly, but others too, esp. Oly-caliber) because that's where the present and future is. The past is of only passing interest, as in 'where are they now?' profiles. Unless a masters athlete is still at least national open class, it's not newsworthy. If you want masters, go to 'National Masters News,' a fine publication.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

So by this reasoning, the only "real" competition is the open level, and those with potential to get there. Extending this to it's logical conclusion, women should be dropped from this coverage, since they are clearly beyond hope of measuring up to the men's open standards, even with extensive levels of chemical supplementation. Why waste precious ink on an AOY honor for a runner who runs over TEN MINUTES slower than the top athletes in the marathon (and, yes, appears on "Oprah" as well)?

Since MLB seems to be the gold standard here, the "average fan" isn't interested in following women's fastpitch, any more than "the over-45 Beer Leagues"- why should female T&F athletes get a bye, since they are performing at a clearly inferior level, not even at the level of the top Master's?

The line has obviously been drawn, but it is utterly arbitrary. Athletic competition is about striving for excellence, and it has intrinsic interest at any level where boundaries are being pushed. Comparing recent record-setting trends, with the recent stagnation of World and American open marks, the only boundaries of track and field performance that are being extended in any wholesale fashion is in Master's competition, where records are being laid down at an increasing rate. This as the performance level of the top open competitors steadily deflates. And frankly, as a lifelong T&F fan, the only levels of competition which still hold some decent measure of untainted athleticsm for me are school-level and yes, Master's. If anything it is the "open" (professional) athletes which are engaged in a "charade" of fair and open-spirited competition (see "the THG Crisis" and any other T&F board for the reasons why).

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

>So is it a "charade" or an embarassment
    >ent when TFN reports on High School boys running
    >48 sec. for the 400 or College women running 35
    >min. for 10,000, despite tehse marks being well
    >off the open bests? Give the fans credit for
    >being able to adjust the standards to the
    >competition.>

What a miserable comparison.

HSers have the opportunity to improve and become good open athletes. Masters athletes don't.

Just like a baseball fan is interested in players in the minor leagues or a football or basketball fan is interested in college players, track fans have a decided interest in younger athletes.

I don't think baseball fans care very much how well a 45 year old is doing in the beer leagues.

Leave a comment:

• trackhead
    replied

Masters -- when appropriate. Like Andrés Espinosa's 2:08 last month. That was news worthy. Or Johnny Gray winning the Millrose 800m @ age 41, or Moses' comeback this year.

That aside, I would like to see some more in-depth information on the training of athletes -- and not just American.

I think that Track and Field News' subscription base is open enough to turn away from the magazine if Americans are not always the focus.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

The difference between HS and masters's results (very similar in an absolute sense) is that HS athletes are on the way up and make for great speculative fan talk. We masters get worse every year (generally speaking) and elicit very little fan speculation (how much do think he'll slow down THIS year?). I love track and I enjoy competing in masters track. I actually get excited about entering a new age-group (now I'm really gonna whip those geezers) and I work a little harder in the weight room every year to slow the ticks of the clock. But . . . masters track is an indulgence for all us wanna-bes, so we can prove to ourselves that we're not dead yet. My standard answer to why I still train and compete is, "Because I can."

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

I disagree. Any story that
    >belongs on Oprah doesn't belong in TNFN. Leave
    >the Masters crap where it belongs.

The Great Has-Been has spoken.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

>psyche out Westerners. Americans are so gullible
    >generally, they'll believe anything some African
    >tells them, whether it's running 10k to school
    >each day, when the guy grew up half a mile from
    >the school, or that Kenyans would never use
    >drugs, not even an aspirin. Relax.

I liked the story Kimobwa used to tell - about the lion who slept in a tree along the road where he ran as a child. Whenever he ran by the lion used to swat at his head, resulting in the then-famous running style.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X