Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wieght training

I want to add a little definition to my body, and I was wondering if that would hurt my running. Right now our coach has us do 3 sets 8 reps at about 65% of out max 2x a week. I wanted to move up to 4 sets 20 reps at 50-60% of my max 3 times a week. Will this cause me to run slower or will I be able to have a nice body and hopefully run faster also.

Re: Wieght training

Before anyone can give advice, it would probably help to know what distances you run.

Comment

800/1500

Comment

>I want to add a little definition to my body,
        >, and I was wondering if that would hurt my
        >running. Right now our coach has us do 3 sets 8
        >reps at about 65% of out max 2x a week. I wanted
        >to move up to 4 sets 20 reps at 50-60% of my max
        >3 times a week. Will this cause me to run slower
        >or will I be able to have a nice body and
        >hopefully run faster also.

If you have adapted to the current weight training program, then any increase in the training load – within limits – will likely produce increased performance.

Four sets of 20 reps at 50-60% is clearly a high-rep, low weight regimen. For the 800m to 1600m distance, 3 x 4-6 repetitions would be more effective in creating the power necessary to run fast. If you cannot complete 4-6 repetitions, then the weight is too heavy. If you can complete more than 6, then the weight is too light. This may not give you the muscular definition that you seek, but many would trade their vanity for the sake of performance.

Make sure to tell your coach of any changes you make, as the alteration of your current program could initially make you more susceptible to injury.

Comment

[Four sets of 20 reps at 50-60% is clearly a high-rep, low weight regimen. For the 800m to 1600m distance, 3 x 4-6 repetitions would be more effective in creating the power necessary to run fast. If you cannot complete 4-6 repetitions, then the weight is too heavy. If you can complete more than 6, then the weight is too light. This may not give you the muscular definition that you seek, but many would trade their vanity for the sake of performance.]

Look, Cerutty B, my man asked a very specific question. He wants more muscle definition and wondered if his idea would yield that result. The answer is "yes". More volume at lower intensity will help lean him out. We don't know if he's competing on 20% body fat or 2%. We don't know if he's naturally strong as a house or weak as a kitten. Too many armchair coaches want to shove a guy in the weight room and get him strong and big- all in the name of performance.
          I'll tell you this much, any 800/1500 guy who's strong and pudgy isn't going anywhere.

Comment

The short answer is that higher reps at lower weight will increase definition more than fewer reps (bodybuilders will do sets of 100 reps pre-competition). Going to complete failure (with a spotter when necessary) on sets 2/3/4 is the key. I would also add that you can't hit the same muscle 3x/week - it won't recover. Your coach can probably help you devise a 3x/week schedule.

Comment

>The short answer is that higher reps at lower
              >weight will increase definition more than fewer
              >reps (bodybuilders will do sets of 100 reps
              >pre-competition). Going to complete failure
              >(with a spotter when necessary) on sets 2/3/4 is
              >the key. I would also add that you can't hit the
              >same muscle 3x/week - it won't recover. Your
              >coach can probably help you devise a 3x/week
              >schedule.

Oh brother. El S., are you really suggesting an 800/1500 runner should lift three times a week- going to complete failure in each lift each lifting session? What do you suppose that is going to do to his actual track training? Shall he also run himself to complete failure three times a week while he's at it?
              Runningmuscles, do yourself a favor and stop reading these posts. Trust your instincts. You're on the right track. Always remember this; weight lifting is merely a supplement to training.

Comment

Sorry I should have been more descriptive in my build. Right now I am 6 165 have prs of 1:58 in the 800 and 4:25 in the 1600 meters all high school prs (last year) I am thin and just want to be able to take off my shirt when I "go out dancing" or am even on the beach and not have people say he has a "runners build". I perfer to have a cut build, maybe get to a wieght of 175 and still be able to run a sub 1:51 and sub 3:52 (1500) going into my senior year of college.

Comment

>Sorry I should have been more descriptive in my
                  >build. Right now I am 6 165 have prs of 1:58 in
                  >the 800 and 4:25 in the 1600 meters all high
                  >school prs (last year) I am thin and just want
                  >to be able to take off my shirt when I "go out
                  >dancing" or am even on the beach and not have
                  >people say he has a "runners build". I perfer
                  >to have a cut build, maybe get to a wieght of
                  >175 and still be able to run a sub 1:51 and sub
                  >3:52 (1500) going into my senior year of
                  >college.

OK, that helps. In that case, listen to El Supremo. His advice will work for what you want.

Comment

Just out of curiosity, don't you have a coach? Can he give you a professional advice?

Cheers and good luck

Comment

Think about swimming. You may not get the ripped look you want but you can end up with nice broad shoulders, big chest, narrow waist. Remember--and no jokes please--that Alan Webb came out of a swimming background. Not bad for your general stamina either.

Comment

Working...
                      X