• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Media Coverage of Women's Athletics

This ought to start a ruckus:

"Why is it a man's world?

Will Buckley: The Observer/The Guardian Unlimited

On Wednesday at The Oval, the Women's Sports Foundation (WSF) and invited guests will meet to 'slam the appalling media coverage of women's sport in this country'. This contention is backed up by research that shows that only 2.65 per cent of all sports coverage in the tabloids this year was dedicated to women's sport and that on average there were 10 days a month in the print media when women's sport received nil coverage. It is further backed up by a telephone poll of 625 respondents, the far-from-surprising results of which are embargoed until Wednesday."

That was the beginning of a Brit article. All one has to do is look at Sports Illustrated to see the short shrift women get. On the other hand, look at how balanced T&FN coverage is. Admittedly track and swimming and gymnastics and figure skating has balanced coverage anywhere, but track is closer to the mainstream (a tributary?) than the others.

Nww, just to peeve everyone - I would like to posit that women don't 'deserve' Sports Illustrated equality because women in general do NOT follow sport as closely as men as evidenced by the lack of attendance at women's sports compared to men. The Women's National Soccer Team has good support, but they are an exception, not the rule.

In sum, kudos to T&FN for 'our' equality, but kudos also to SI for not being so PC as to have equal coverage.

Re: Media Coverage of Women's Athletics

It all comes from Donna's misplaced notion that women are interested in watching and competing (not participating which is completely different) in sports as much as men are.

Playing the amateur psychologist, Donna was the Senior Woman's Administrator at Texas back in the day. Being there when she was, all womens sports got screwed, so it is easy to understand her developing a grudge, especially against big football. She's just gone too far over the edge, like most people with unchecked power do, especially when surrounded by yes (wo)men for so long, they develop an overinflated sense of the righteousness of their cause. Its amazing that so many people just let her walk all over them.

I really think Title IX is a good idea, but someone needs to replace her as its leader before she ruins everything she built. She's out of touch with the sports world of today and should refocus her energy in the area of equity (equality is a word found nowhere in the law, but in her bastardization of it to the EEOC to interpret - they're completely different in meaning, look it up) that really means something like job compensation and/or admissions into science programs on the graduate & post-graduate levels.

Comment

With very few exceptions, if you're not an attractive female athlete, nobody gives a crap. This isn't an indictment of the media, it's a reflection of human nature. The sports with attractive females are the only ones who thrive financially (tennis, gymnastics, figure skating, track and field, volleyball, etc...).
      Sorry ladies, you can't legislate human interest. And before you PC thugs attack this obvious fact, ask yourselves if you would be willing to purchase a ticket to a professional women's softball game. Me either.

Comment

< The sports with attractive females are the only ones who thrive financially (tennis, gymnastics, figure skating, track and field, volleyball, etc...).>

Gimme a break here. How many atractive tennis players do you know? Kournikova is atractive, but her tennis sucks. Hantuchov√° is right now just about the only one. Just about all world class female gymnasts are children, just as so many figure skaters. I am glad you didn't say "swimmers". That'd be a real joke :-)
        "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
        by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

OK, you want a break. Since you're not comfortable with my compassionate and generic term "attractive", let me spell it out for you. Women that are slim, cute, and here's the big one; feminine. These women do better financially in athletics than their bigger, fatter and/or more masculine counterparts. They do better individually with sponsors and endorsements, and their sports do better with the fans. Check the numbers. And if you're still not convinced, do some research on Lindsey Davenport. Her female opponents referred to her as "dumptruck" before she chose to lose the weight and dress in her new "cute" clothes. The result? Her popularity soared.

Comment

I've been very impressed with the Sport coverage of the CBC. Badminton was on a few weeks ago as well as Trampoline and Tumbling lots of variety . I really don't see a problem with womens sport coverage in the media in Canada. I would go as far as to say it's not even an issue here. Also, I think Anna K. plays tennis quite well but not the kind of game that measures up to the heavy hitters winning today. She plays a very fast paced game with lots of spin. I have noticed the annoncers in many major tournaments giving her a tough time though.

Comment

Nww, just to peeve everyone - I would
              >like to posit that women don't 'deserve' Sports
              >Illustrated equality because women in general do
              >NOT follow sport as closely as men as evidenced
              >by the lack of attendance at women's sports
              >compared to men. The Women's National Soccer Team
              >has good support, but they are an exception, not
              >the rule.
              NO..WOMEN ARE STUPID..THEY FOLLOW AND ATTEND MEN'S SPORTS...

In sum, kudos to T&FN for 'our'
              >equality, but kudos also to SI for not being so
              >PC as to have equal coverage.
              WHAT A JOKE....

AND THAT'S ALL I'M SAYING ON THIS WHOLE HISTORICAL ISSUE SO THAT WE DON'T HAVE 200 POSTS AND UPSET PEOPLE WHO DON'T WANT TO READ THEM...HAHAHAHAHAHAH

Comment

As a typically dense male, I have no idea what you mean by "WHAT A JOKE...."

Are you saying that women have the same level of interest in sports that men do? That would be the joke.

Comment

Are you saying
                  >that women have the same level of interest in
                  >sports that men do? That would be the joke. YEAH, AS CHEERLEADERS AND SPECTATORS IN MEN'S SPORTS...TYPICAL HISTORICALLY APPROVED ROLE..

Comment

I would say it's more like the Track & Field fan better appreciates a sport of numeric effort regardless of the gender posting those marks.

Comment

um..the Williams sisters?They Don't quite fit your profile

Comment

<Since you're not comfortable with my compassionate and generic term "attractive", let me spell it out for you.>

Decafan, I am totally comfortable with your compassion. I simply disagree. I don't argue that attractive people (males as well as females) find their way to the public's hearts easier. For every attractive woman on the sidelines you'll see an attractive man in the ESPN booth (i.e. Michael Irwin as the latest addition). There is yet another point. Being muscle-bound adds to one's athletic ability. It makes masculinity enhanced, but diminishes (generally, not always, so please, guys, don't rip my head off) the feminine appeal.
                        "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                        by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

I've always been amazed at how much womens college basketball there is on TV. I never watch it. And womens college volleyball is on a lot too. Never watch that either. And yet try to find a mens college BASEBLL game on TV. Good luck.

Comment

>< The sports with attractive females are the only
                            >ones who thrive financially (tennis, gymnastics,
                            >figure skating, track and field, volleyball,
                            >etc...).>

Gimme a break here. How many
                            >atractive tennis players do you know? Kournikova
                            >is atractive, but her tennis sucks. Hantuchov√° is
                            >right now just about the only one. Just about all
                            >world class female gymnasts are children, just as
                            >so many figure skaters. I am glad you didn't say
                            >"swimmers". That'd be a real joke :-)

Serena Williams certainly is a huge sex symbol among black men, so tennis women's attractiveness is in the eye of the beholder. However, the previous writer is correct that sports with "feminine" athletes fare reasonably well. It's also not true that women don't watch sports: figure skating's TV ratings are pretty good. Tennis & gymnastics do OK, & tennis does pretty well when either one of the Williams sisters plays. Volleyball's stats are growing, even track (if ever so slowly).

Comment

Working...
                            X