Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cheating and Money

the rumors i've heard about "cheating" in athletics are that it has always been a part of the sport.
    The ancient Greeks could have given us lessons on
    doing whatever was necessary to gain a competitive
    edge.
    Some people even argue that the present concepts of amateurism which we now hold as sacred were developed to ensure that only upper class athletes
    could afford to compete.
    I understand that steriods were developed by the Nazis and that after it was brought back to the US,usage among athletes was wide spread. No one objected to this state of events until the Communist East Europeans applied the scientific
    method to the enterprise and became wildly successful.
    Other substances thought to improve performance
    were also widely used in the days before testing.
    When I started running in the '60s, some sprinters
    believed downing a bottle of wine before reporting
    to the starting blocks would give them an edge!

It could be argued that athletics today is far
    "cleaner" than it was back in the "good old days"
    before widespread testing was instituted.

In case anyone hasn't noticed, we're living in a highly technological, supposedly "modern", scientific society. Part of this religion is the belief in progress by artificial means.
    The use of drugs to improve our lives is accepted
    as normal. This can be verified by entering any
    house and checking out the medicine cabinet.
    The notion that athletes should be exempt from this aspect of modern society is ignorant, hypocritical and pointless.

It seems to me that it would be far more useful
    to concentrate on things that we could actually
    succeed in fixing: In New York City, where I live,
    60% of the high school have no athletic facilities
    at all! Many of the "coaches" are morons who are
    moonlighting from their real jobs.

Some people are already starting to do things that can make a difference: Norb Sander, et. al. have shown with their development of the Armory Track and Field center what can be done. I'm sure there
    are others who are doing the job.
    These kinds of activities would be far more beneficial to our sport than wasting resources and energies in witchhunts that interfer in peoples'
    private lives.
    Let's resist the urge to play God. We have enough
    trouble just being human beings.

Comment

No matter what the circumstances the cheaters when caught must be punished. Our sport is fragile enough as it is.

Comment

In throwing people have been cheating since the mid 60's and sprinters have been cheating since the mid 70's. It's no coincidence that body types of 100 meter sprinters vastly changed around the Montreal Olympics. Also I doubt any serious competitor has even given thought to competing clean since the mid 70's.

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymous
          In throwing people have been cheating since the mid 60's and sprinters have been cheating since the mid 70's. It's no coincidence that body types of 100 meter sprinters vastly changed around the Montreal Olympics. Also I doubt any serious competitor has even given thought to competing clean since the mid 70's.
          There's one that slipped through the cracks.

Comment

Working...
          X