• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bekele wins again

Big Surprise:

http://www.iaaf.org/news/Kind=2/newsId=23534.html

Re: Bekele wins again

Note that this cross race was just 2 months after the GP Final and only one month after the All-Africa Games, Bekele's last track race of the year. Most elite American distance runners, whose last race was in early August or earlier, are scared to race that much. I think that's not a good idea. I think cross is an important developmental tool.

It seems as if Americans now have this idea that they have to race as infrequently as possible. I don't know where this idea came from, but it obviously isn't working. Bekele, Geb, Tergat, et. al. aren't afraid to do some road/cross races any time of year.

Comment

I completely agree with you, Dan. In America, it would be, "okay, time to build a base for the next 3 months before we race again," whereas Bekele is maximizing on his health and fitness, much like Ron Clarke used to train year round.

There is much that can be learned from the African nations other than running fast and breaking boundaries!

Comment

i would bet that Bekele has been putting away a pretty hefty training load since the end of the WAF, through All-Africas and through this meet.

Comment

Working...
        X