• Show
Clear All
  • tafnut
    • Oct 2005
    • Lost at C (-minus)

big bad USOC bullies USATF

from usatoday.com

"USOC gives Track & Field extension for reform plan

COLORADO SPRINGS (AP) — The U.S. Olympic Committee gave USA Track & Field officials two extra days to submit a plan for addressing drug use and athlete conduct issues. USATF had a Monday deadline to submit a proposal but asked for an extension Friday to finish its report. Track officials now have until the close of business Wednesday."

***You have till sundown to fix it or git outta town. Silly posturing.***

Re: big bad USOC bullies USATF

Yup, USATF needs more time. The dog ate their homework.

Seriously, what do you expect from a rudderless organization that attempts to deflect their responsibility by pointing fingers at "those 140 other federations?"

Yup, it's the "big bad USOC". Yup,it's the "big bad IAAF", the "big bad WADA". There's a pattern here, don't you think?

Comment

Malmo, you're a professional critic. Why don't you impress us all with viable solutions to your endless whining about all things track.
      The USOC IS a bunch of clowns who rarely have the athletes best interests in mind. I agree that it is silly and insulting to have them order around T&F.

Comment

• dl
        • Oct 2005

I'm not trying to defend USATF, but what do they have to do with drug testing anymore? WADA is in charge of it. I guess USATF can be more "proactive" in preventing drug use by its athletes, but seriously, what can they do?

Comment

• dl
          • Oct 2005

Sorry, USADA, not WADA, is in charge of drug testing in the U.S.

Comment

Dan you are not looking good trying to back a hapless USATF. What is that i just heard? Was it a sigh of relief from Dan and or USATF now that the "USATF is no longer in charge of drug testing" excuse can be flaunted.
            For years they buried test results(see Young/Lewis) and now a USATF staffer can only retort, without shame of course, what happen to the other 140 countries that do not do drug testing.We can discuss that later staffer, however, the spotlight is on USATF

Comment

• dl
              • Oct 2005

As I wrote in my original post, I'm not trying to defend USATF, I'm asking a question. What can USATF do about drug use? This isn't a rhetorical question. Let's come up with some ideas. Let's not just blame them for everything.

They already have "education" programs, but this is just a PR ploy. They now have a "zero-tolerance" program, but is that also just another PR ploy?

USATF has limited funds and personnel. What can we realistically expect them to do about the drug problem? Let's not just complain. Let's try to come up with some ideas. It's not a true democracy, of course, but I, like many of you on this board, are members of USATF. If we don't like what our organization is doing, we can try to change it.

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't the recent history of the USATF been to 'hide' drug positives under the 'they haven't exhausted all avenues of appeal, and so they are innocent until proven guilty beyond any possible, though extreme, doubt'? What if we just did what any reasonable person does with an 'alleged' perp. Hold them in custody awaiting arraignment, i.e. announce the positive, and suspend them until their innocence is 'proven'. There are infinitely fewer 'false positives' than real guilty parties (despite all the protestations to the contrary.

Wouldn't this send a stronger signal to potential cheats?

Comment

the objective of USATF has never been to send a "stronger signal to potential cheats" . It is to test them and hide the results if it is positive

Comment

>Malmo, you're a professional critic. Why don't
                    >you impress us all with viable solutions to your
                    >endless whining about all things track.
                    The USOC
                    >IS a bunch of clowns who rarely have the athletes
                    >best interests in mind. I agree that it is silly
                    >and insulting to have them order around T&F.

If I gave a solution then I wouldn't be a critic anymore, would I?

It's efficiency though specialization of labor.

Comment

>Malmo, you're a professional critic. Why don't
                      >you impress us all with viable solutions to your
                      >endless whining about all things track.>>

Malmo was well known on the Darkwing list for kvetching about many things, specializing in using big words and circular logic but being as hard to pin down as nailing jello to the wall.

I seem to recall that in response to one of his attacks on TFN because they weren't taking the proper tack on some subject, probably drugs in track, that gh said that he could have space in the magazine to say exactly what it was he thought TFN should be saying since he never actually said what it was. Not surprisingly he wimped out as I recall.

Comment

I seem to recall that in
                        >response to one of his attacks on TFN because
                        >they weren't taking the proper tack on some
                        >subject, probably drugs in track, that gh said
                        >that he could have space in the magazine to say
                        >exactly what it was he thought TFN should be
                        >saying since he never actually said what it was.
                        >Not surprisingly he wimped out as I recall.

If that's not circular logic then nothing is.

Comment

Working...
                        X