NCAA Indoor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NCAA Indoor

Does anyone know if there will be an indoor heptathlon this year at the NCAA championships? I know there's been discussion, but I don't know what the upshot of those talks is.

Re: NCAA Indoor

I haven't heard anything about it. In my opinion there should be a pent and hept.

Comment

Yes, there will be a multis competition at the next NCAA indoor competition. It's official.

Comment

and d3 doesnt even have a 200 meters indoors

Comment

Then that makes D2 an organization a lot smarter than those who run the stupid thing. Nobody but lane 6 has much of a chance of ever winning.

Comment

Agreed - the indoor 200 is pointless. The runners in lanes 1 and 2 might as well just pack it in, because they have no chance of winning.

Comment

You want some cheese with that whine? I have a solution; Run fast in the semis and let someone else worry about lanes 1 and 2.
              Next issue.

Comment

NCAA runs a two heat final using lanes 3-4-5-6. None of you track experts knew that?!

Comment

>I have a solution; Run fast in the semis and let someone else worry about lanes 1 and 2.<

Championship races should be decided in the final, not the semifinals. Because of the exceptional impact of the lane draw on the outcome in the indoor 200, the result of the final is usually effectively determined by the results of the semis. The event should not be on the indoor program.

Comment

>>I have a solution; Run fast in the semis and
                    >let someone else worry about lanes 1 and
                    >2.<

Championship races should be decided in
                    >the final, not the semifinals. Because of the
                    >exceptional impact of the lane draw on the
                    >outcome in the indoor 200, the result of the
                    >final is usually effectively determined by the
                    >results of the semis. The event should not be on
                    >the indoor program.

Thanks, that's helpful. I'll tell that to the athletes actually running in this year's indoor 200m race.

Comment

You in a bad mood today Decafan? Relax, people are just posing alternative points of view; it's a discussion.

BTW, what if a runner gets stuck in lanes 1 or 2 in the semis?

Comment

>You in a bad mood today Decafan? Relax, people
                        >are just posing alternative points of view; it's
                        >a discussion.

BTW, what if a runner gets stuck
                        >in lanes 1 or 2 in the semis?

Yes, good point. Sorry for the attitude.

Comment

All of this talk about lanes 1 and 2 tells me that you guys aren't paying attention. At the NCAA indoor meet (which is the subject of this thread), lanes 1 and 2 are not used. They end up with a two-section time-based final, which is an abomination.

The IAAF wisely eschews the two-section final, but uses lanes 1 and 2 ONLY in the final (on the theory that even though nobody has a real chance to win from those lanes, it doesn't do any harm to let the fifth and sixth best from the semis run the final if they want to. In the trials and semis, they do not use those lanes because they recognize that it's almost impossible to advance from them.

Comment

Working...
                          X