X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • halimwash
    • Oct 2005

Venue Selection

As an avid fan and former athlete I am concerned about the selction of venues for US Championship events. Why select venues in areas with as unpredictable weather conditions as the midwest. As a former resident of the midwest the weather conditions there can change in a matter of hours. There is concern regarding next year's Olympic Trials as well. We can almost guarantee rain in the northwest. Although each competitor has no advantage because of the conditions, as a spectator and fan I want to see maximum marks. The weather conditions in Indianapolis or Oregon do not support that.

Another concern, and there are more, is the injury factor. The probability of inury for sprinters is increased because it is more difficult to get warmup and remain warm. Why subject the athletes to this during a World Championship or Olympic year?

As we all know, the sport is not very popular in the US, so why not select a venue with a strong fan base where interest is heightened? California and Florida have both favorable weather and the fan base necessary to further promote the sport.
  • tandfman
    • Oct 2005

Re: Venue Selection

Originally posted by halimwash
    There is concern regarding next year's Olympic Trials as well. We can almost guarantee rain in the northwest.
    I don't believe that's true. At that time of year (late June, early July), it's usually quite nice in Eugene.

Comment

• mike renfro
      • Oct 2005
      • San Diego

And Eugene is one of the few "hotbeds" of track support left. Also, the stands at Hayward are covered (no brollies needed). The bleachers? Not so much

Comment

• mrbowie
        • Oct 2005
        • Lexington, Kentucky

I was saying the same thing to my wife as we walked out of the meet yesterday.

It is not fair to the athletes to subject them to volatile Midwestern summer weather.

This meet belong in Southern California as the first choice. Anywhere else in California as the second choice. Florida is too damn hot. Oregon is fine for distance running, but distance running does not make up a large enough segment of the events to make the tail wag the dog.

I wonder what the hell the Trials are going to be like?

Weather should not be the story as it was this week.
        "Who's Kidding Who?"

Comment

• TrackCEO
          • Oct 2005
          • San Diego

Actually, the idea should be to replicate Osaka weather (this year) or Beijing conditions (next year).

So where in 2008 is there a place with lots of smog? Hmmmm.

In 2012, we should hold the Trials in Alaska.

K E N
          K E N

Comment

• gm
            • Oct 2005

Yeah, we sure wouldn't want to prepare our boys and girls for any international events like Helsinki '05. I used to think people from my home state were over-the-top honks, but you Californitoads take the cake!

Comment

• bad hammy
              • Oct 2005

Originally posted by mrbowie
              It is not fair to the athletes to subject them to volatile Midwestern summer weather.

This meet belong in Southern California as the first choice. Anywhere else in California as the second choice.
              Originally posted by gm
              I used to think people from my home state were over-the-top honks, but you Californitoads take the cake!
              mrbowie appears to hail from KY.

Comment

• 26mi235
                • Oct 2005
                • Madison, WI

Originally posted by bad hammy
                Originally posted by mrbowie

This meet belong in Southern California as the first choice. Anywhere else in California as the second choice.
                Originally posted by gm
                I used to think people from my home state were over-the-top honks, but you Californitoads take the cake!
                He hails from (southern) California, he resides in KY, I think.

Comment

• Powell
                  • Oct 2005
                  • right here

Which other venues wanted to organize these championships?
                  Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

• bad hammy
                    • Oct 2005

Originally posted by 26mi235
                    Originally posted by gm
                    He hails from (southern) California, he resides in KY, I think.
                    Well, dry warm consistent weather is one of the major reasons people keep moving out here. We wouldn't want to force that on our T&F championships.

Check the USATF meet threads. How many jump events (for instance) were not adversely affected by the wet and windy conditions?? Any track or throwing events where rain was a factor? I thought so . . . .

Originally posted by Powell
                    Which other venues wanted to organize these championships?
                    That is certainly one huge part of the equation. Didn’t I read somewhere that Sacramento is putting together a bid for 2009-2011?? Kind of tough on fans, but the athletes seem to like it.

Too bad San Diego has no reasonable venue (that I know of). That would be a sweet place to run these meets from.

Comment

• Alan Shank
                      • Oct 2005
                      • N38 40, W 121 52

Too bad San Diego has no reasonable venue (that I know of). That would be a sweet place to run these meets from.
                      Hear, hear! San Diego has great weather, and, what's more, Mike Renfro lives there! >:-)

Now, if this were baseball, USATF would be trying to get San Diego to build a stadium at public expense! >:-)

Seriously, was there ever a major meet held in San Diego?
                      Cheers,
                      Alan Shank

Comment

• K.I.R.
                        • Aug 2006

Oregon winters are crap but the summer is quite nice. Today, for example, had a high in the low 80s - sunny and clear with little wind. And it cools down pretty fast so if you hold the distance races after 8pm it should be 70 or cooler.

The reasoning behind holding USAs in Indy the last two years is pretty transparent. Unfortunately the best interests of the athletes come in a distant second to saving federation money so Chaplin and Brooks Johnson (and dozens of other USATF blowhards) each get their own suite in Beijing with plenty of per diem.

Comment

• louise tricard
                          • Oct 2005

[

As we all know, the sport is not very popular in the US, so why not select a venue with a strong fan base where interest is heightened? California and Florida have both favorable weather and the fan base necessary to further promote the sport.[/quote]

where is this fan base in florida??????

Comment

• Kurt Francis
                            • Oct 2005

WHAT A BUNCH OF FREAKIN' WUSSES!

"Oh, I'm so sorry Mr. Track Man Official. I've never trained or ran in inclement weather before. You see, I'm a southern Californian boy, and all we have is sunshine and dry weather. It really isn't fair to make us compete in lousy weather. I mean, like, uh, anything below 70 °F is really cold weather to me."

GIVE ME A FREAKIN' BREAK! It seems like too many here have become a bunch of spineless, pansified wusses!

Kurt

Comment

• tafnut
                              • Oct 2005
                              • Lost at C (-minus)

Originally posted by louise tricard
                              where is this fan base in florida??????
                              HELLO??!! U'n'me should count as LEGION!

Comment

Working...
                              X