Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blade Runner vs Wariner

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/other_s ... 248858.stm

Double amputee Oscar "Blade Runner" Pistorius will race against Olympic 400m champion Jeremy Wariner in July.
    He will run in his first able-bodied Grand Prix event at the Norwich Union Sheffield Grand Prix on 15 July

A PB of 46.34 is great. But without legs it´s an outstanding and remarkable time! Outstanding, and I wish him all the best. Go Blade-runner!

Comment

Originally posted by Bästefar
      A PB of 46.34 is great. But without legs it´s an outstanding and remarkable time! Outstanding, and I wish him all the best. Go Blade-runner!
      As long as his races are in "exhibitions" and he's kept out of Championship races. Somebody, someday will run WR's with "super prosthetics," and they should not be competing "as if" there is no difference in potential between "able bodied" runners and these guys. I think it's great he's running and competing against World class runners, but inevitably they'll have an unfair advantage, if they do not do so at this time. I can see them being especially efficient in the jumps.

Comment

what is probably needed is a set of standards on competition grade prosthetics that limits their dimensions as well as some measure of their flexion, spring constant, etc. .. Otherwise this really opens up some real problems in the very near future.
        ... nothing really ever changes my friend, new lines for old, new lines for old.

Comment

Originally posted by paulthefan
          what is probably needed is a set of standards on competition grade prosthetics that limits their dimensions as well as some measure of their flexion, spring constant, etc. .. Otherwise this really opens up some real problems in the very near future.
          Couldn't agree more that this potentially "opens up some real problems." Once the bureaucrats with their measuring tools and "scientific" criteria get control of this issue, then it all becomes a line-drawing matter: where is the line to be drawn. Apply the influence of most people's natually compassionate instincts and the first thing you know we're heading for trouble.

Comment

Unfortunately, I don't ever see a day when paralympic athletes can compete with able-bodied athletes in any championship of significance. Limiting the amount of 'help' they can have in their prosthetics will simply be an arbitrary decision, that cannot meaningfully put both sets of athletes on a level playing field.

Comment

Originally posted by tafnut
              Unfortunately, I don't ever see a day when paralympic athletes can compete with able-bodied athletes in any championship of significance. Limiting the amount of 'help' they can have in their prosthetics will simply be an arbitrary decision, that cannot meaningfully put both sets of athletes on a level playing field.
              Amen!

Comment

I believe this will be a new world record for Wariner in the category of no-win situation.

Comment

Originally posted by unclezadok
                  I believe this will be a new world record for Wariner in the category of no-win situation.
                  He should just look at it as an opportunity to run a fast time. Winning or losing this race to a paralympian means nothing.

Comment

He should just look at it as an opportunity to run a fast time. Winning or losing this race to a paralympian means nothing.
                    This thread is evolving as if there are only two chaps in the race. I suspect that's not the case (although a brief effort yields no information about the field).

Comment

Does anybody else find this "match-up" slightly silly or even distasteful?

I mean, how many 46 second athletes will Wariner race in IAAF Grands Prix this year?

Comment

I have often wondered when the time will come that surgically enhanced athletes become a factor. Didn't Beaux Greer jokingly refer to a cheeta implant? Have I been reading too much science fiction?

Comment

We have electronically activated prosthetics.. is it possible to program one to increase the frequency of leg turnover?

Comment

Originally posted by pherekydes
                            Does anybody else find this "match-up" slightly silly or even distasteful?

I mean, how many 46 second athletes will Wariner race in IAAF Grands Prix this year?
                            Yes. No doubt the British press will completely hype the story up and it'll end up being a huge anticlimax but the British press tend to take a rather 'rose-tinted view' on certain things e.g Jo Pavey chasing the 10000m qualifying mark turns into ''Pavey looking for gold at 10000m etc.''

The Sheffield line-up is very strong, with Tim Benjamin, Martyn Rooney, Darold Williamson, John Stephenson, Angelo Taylor, Sanjay Ayre and Andrew Steele. I'd be much more happy if they hyped up a much more feasible clash between Wariner and Angelo Taylor.
                            http://twitter.com/Trackside2011

Comment

Originally posted by George P.
                              This thread is evolving as if there are only two chaps in the race. I suspect that's not the case (although a brief effort yields no information about the field).
                              It's not just the thread that's evolving, I fear... it'll be all the press will care about, and once again real track will have to play second fiddle to a sideshow (absolutely no pun intended).

Comment

Working...
                              X