Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soccor Phenom in track

That Freddie Adu guy who is getting all the attention as the soon to be 14 year old soccer prodigy. How do you guys think he would do in track and XC. Think he would be able to take down any us national records. The guy "cough cough" Kid is built and looks like he has a heck of a stride

Re: Soccor Phenom in track

Sure he's not originally from Kenya not Nigeria? He's as 14 as that guy who won the world championships 5K is 18.

Comment

Let the boy play soccer. He will never be in Track. A 14 year old soccer player is one thing but I refuse to speculate about a 14 year old in track. Don't we have enough with Usain Bolt?
      He might very well be 14 as he is about 5'8" but age is rarely certain with athletes from many African countries, not because they cheat but from what I understand births are often registered years after they occur. He came from Ghana with his parents when he was 8.

Comment

No one involved in Soccer believes he's 14. Nike keeps pushing that, but everyone else snickers, believe me.

The remark comparing him to Eliud Kipchoge is spot on. Very few Kenyan juniors are really juniors. But leave it to gullible Westerners, especially journalists, to eat that stuff up. They've been brainwashed into believing anything from the mouth of a third worlder - or their handlers.

Comment

How could we possibly speculate about how Freddie Adu would do in track and cross country? Furthermore, who really cares since he will never be participating in track and cross country? This is a silly thread.

Comment

Much Adu about nothing! The kid is too big to be a middle-distance or distance runner. And why would he care? He's already going to make earn more than a handful of track athletes in the world make.

Comment

>Sure he's not originally from Kenya not Nigeria?

He's from Ghana, so it's unlikely he'd be any good at track.

Comment

Adu is from Ghana. No one knows for sure if he is fourteen but research says he average sized for a 15 year old from his home country. And to clarify, his soccer ability lies mainly in his touch skills and mental understanding, his physical capibilities are great for a young kid, but not outstanding. If he could tranfer over to track he would need to drastically improve his physiological capabilities.

Comment

i don't understand the routine skepticism about the age of African athletes. what exactly is it based on?
                  Kenya, Nigeria and Ghana were once colonies of Great Britain. I believe they have used the same system of registering birth and death as the one used in other areas of the British Empire for at least the past 100 years.

many people here in the US routinely forge and alter birth documents in order to get a drink in bars, to get married before the age of consent, to get a job after reaching the age of 50, or just out of plain vanity.
                  i recall when i coached pee wee and bantam track, we had to institute a weight system in order to
                  negate the cheating that went on about the ages of
                  entrants.

finally, remember when conventional wisdom was that young runners were better than older runners.
                  then, after henry rono dominated collegiate running like no other, the conventional wisdom became that his success was solely dued to the fact that he was older than our runners.

The bottom line is that whatever age group you
                  compare against our runners, we come up short.
                  a quick glance at the all time record lists will reveal that we are not competitive in any age group!

despite this, we have the best youth athletics programs and our high school athletes are also the best. what we have to learn is why this is not translating into world class athletes in college and beyond.
                  i don't know the answer but i don't think age, or
                  money, or drugs has anything to do with it.

Comment

Working...
                  X