Clear All

• trackhead
    replied
    Re: Hey, Brits! Question on clubs

most of the world is on a club system

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

I was just wondering, do they have a similar club system in Australia?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Why ask me? I'm just a South African pole vaulter. :-)

Leave a comment:

• Jon
    replied

>Oh. Could have sworn they were called Eaton
    >Ladies. Wink, wink.
    Ah, Monty Python alums,
    >where are you these days?

Hehe... see what you did there....

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Oh. Could have sworn they were called Eaton Ladies. Wink, wink.
    Ah, Monty Python alums, where are you these days?

Leave a comment:

• Jon
    replied

The club you are thinking of is Essex Ladies. They (like a load of minor clubs who were hungry for instant success) merged with Woodford Green, and the club was named 'Woodford Green and Essex Ladies'. But, because of the wording, many people thought that it was a womens-only club (or at least sounded like one), despite having many male competitors from the Woodford Green club. So now they have renamed themselves to Woodford Green WITH Essex Ladies.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

There isn't a club called Eaton Ladies is there? Just asking.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Thanks Jon, that's brought back some memories, I was wondering what happened to B of E too.

Leave a comment:

• Jon
    replied

BTW, here's their addy:

http://www.enfield-haringeyac.co.uk/

Leave a comment:

• Jon
    replied

They've merged with Enfield and now go by the name of 'Enfield and Haringey AC'.

As with all of the "merged" clubs, they're doing much better than before (Sale Manchester, Windsor Slough & Eton, Woodford Green with Essex Ladies, etc...). Club-merging is beginning to become a bit of a trend in the UK:A leagues... :-(

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Hey Brits...what happened to Haringay AC? On the ukathletics site they're list as Haringay Jogging Club. I used to train at New River with Mike McFarlane et al in the 70's. Masback also used to train there sometimes. Do they still exist as a T&F club?

Watching the Rugby tonight, it's on from 1-3am here. Guess you guys can watch over breakfast! I'm assuming we'll cock it up completely as usual!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Wow! 24 hours and a ton of responses!!

Thank you all.

If the grant money comes through, I may be off to the UK to follow up on the nuts and bolts of some of these long-running (excuse pun) clubs. And pubs. Can't forget those.

Then on to the World CC.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

There are a lot, check out www.ukathletics.net - there is a link to clubs there. The top clubs in the premier division for track this year were Belgrave, Sale Manchester, Windsor Slough & Eton, Shaftesbury Barnet, Woodford Green and Essex Ladies. Good Scottish clubs are Edinburgh Woolen Mill and City of Glasgow.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Re: I always thought the club system was the best

>too, but a teacher friend of mine said that...the
    >club system in Europe leaves out a lot of kids
    >who like to run but don't have the money for a
    >club...

Unlike the public school system in the
    >states..That didn't make a lot of sense to me..Is
    >it easy to join a club for distance runners in
    >the UK......

The school system is essentially the same (or was, in my day) in that during the summer term schools compete against each other and there are area and national championships. There are literally hundreds of T&F clubs in the UK. When athletes are finished with school they can compete through the club system. There are dozens of leagues and area championships and you can compete basically all the way through to the masters events. I've always thought it was a shame that the US doesn't have such a system as once athletes are through college that is basically it unless you are of international class. It's not that expensive, my clubs fees are: Family $100; senior $70; under 20 $30; under 13 $7 per annum.

Leave a comment:

• Robert E. Lee
    replied
    I always thought the club system was the best

too, but a teacher friend of mine said that...the club system in Europe leaves out a lot of kids who like to run but don't have the money for a club...

Unlike the public school system in the states..That didn't make a lot of sense to me..Is it easy to join a club for distance runners in the UK......

Leave a comment:

Working...
X