Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• transsexual eligiblity... say what?

OK, and this is not a joke, I now read in Sports Illustrated (Nov.24, 2003, page 26) that the IOC has amended eligibility rules to allow people to compete after sex-change operations provided they wait long enough for testosterone and muscle mass levels to reach normal proportions for the new target gender!!! What are the implications here? Women are now being penalized for taking drugs that exaggerate male characteristics, but now former men could become eligible to compete as women? And what about the chromosome tests that the IOC originated forty years ago exactly for fear that some female athletes were not genetically female? Transgender surgery doesn't change cell structure and an approved transsexual will still be the wrong sex at the chromosomal level. What will this do to current drug testing protocals? Don't transsexuals have to maintain hormone balances with exactly the sort of drugs that would play havoc with those tests? The magazine quotes a transgender athlete who claims to know several sex-changed folks planning to try out for the next Olympiad. What's up with this?

Re: transsexual eligiblity... say what?

Outrageous!!!

Comment

This world has gone nuts.

We are all witnessing the degradation of society and the end result will be the destruction of many societies and war.

Kurt

Comment

Anyone remember Renee Richards ?

Comment

<Anyone remember Renee Richards ?>

....and Schchelkanova, and Klobukowska and Koubková and on and on. This could destroy competetive female sporsts as we know it, not just in individual, but the team sports as well. Just place a male body (regardless of its surgical and hormonal adjustment) next to the female height volleyball net. Where is an elementary common sense?
          "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
          by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Where is an elementary common sense?

You could not have asked a better question.

Comment

<
              ....and Schchelkanova, and Klobukowska and Koubková and on and on. This could destroy competetive female sporsts as we know it, not just in individual, but the team sports as well. Just place a male body (regardless of its surgical and hormonal adjustment) next to the female height volleyball net. Where is an elementary common sense?>

Not just East Europeans. What about Stella Walsh running for the USA and winning medals?

Comment

If their testo levels are proper, then there is probably no unfair advantage. I used to date a girl years ago, and she was so strong that she would often throw me across the room. But when she was nice, she was very nice. Lola, baby come back, I'll be good.

Comment

"We are all witnessing the degradation of society and the end result will be the destruction of many societies and war."

I'd say you might be overreacting just a bit. First, ours is not to judge the life of someone when we have no clue what they've been through. Clearly some people are misplaced in their bodies and are far happier switching over. Live and let live. However, I think the IOC is being absurd by concluding that they ought to be out there competing with non-transgendered folk. And I don't think they will get away with it. Maybe they were all extremely drunk at a meeting and came up with the idea.

Comment

i killed the other (shorter) thread on same subject started by MJD, but here's what was posted there:

<<"Athletes who have undergone sex change operations will be allowed to compete in the Olympics for the first time."

http://www.transworldsnowboarding.com/s ... 58,00.html

---- 

Posted by Vince, on some date Sat Nov 15 16:27:15 EST 2003

The IOC has lost it's mind. It looks like Western European political correctness is at an all-time high. I see no way to ban athletes from taking testosterone and claiming to be "transgender".
                    ---- 
                    Posted by michael lewis, on some date Sat Nov 15 17:47:40 EST 2003

Will Heidi Krieger make a comeback? I think the IOC is nuts too. I think transgendered people likely live through some kind of nightmare the rest of us can only (not) imagine before switching over. They deserve to be extended all the dignity and respect the rest of us take for granted and being transgendered is no excuse for bigotry. This does not, however, get the issue out of the very grey area in which it dwells, and allowing transgendered women to compete with women who are born women is inviting catastrophe.

Re: IOC decision

Posted by viva voz, on some date Fri Nov 21 18:07:01 EST 2003

>The IOC has lost it's mind. It looks like Western
                    >European political correctness is at an all-time
                    >high. I see no way to ban athletes from taking
                    >testosterone and claiming to be "transgender".

is anyone surprised that this ioc meeting took place in sweden? idiotic idea, what are female athlete opinions?

Comment

Has Mutola ever undergone a Chromosome test, or something else to confirm her gender. I am not joking. I can remember several female athletes making remarks to me, in all seriousness, regarding this years ago. It's OK to bring up the Eastern Bloc - meaning white athletes, I guess. But to ask about Mutola, whoa, some people freak. And it's a legitemate question.

Comment

THE IOC HAS GONE CRAZY!!!

Comment

I feel sorry for the athletes who try and hit on these people!!!!

Comment

>Has Mutola ever undergone a Chromosome test, or
                            >something else to confirm her gender.

Chromosome tests were abandoned many years ago. Apparently they weren't too reliable, in the sense that some women don't have the standard XX pattern. From what I understand, currently it is believed the only sensible method is a visual inspection... And based on what we know today, Ewa Klobukowska should not have been banned.
                            Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

>Not just East
                              >Europeans. What about Stella Walsh running for
                              >the USA and winning medals?

Hmmm... It seems the IOC messed up big time... All this time 'she' was really running for the USA, yet they kept on putting the Polish flag on the mast and playing the Polish national anthem when she won :-o
                              Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Working...
                              X