by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Re: 100m/800m question...

>I suspect Borzakovskiy could do it.

Possibly Kipketer?
      He has quite good basic speed.

Comment

I think Michael Johnson COULD have done it, in his prime, with a little work in both extremes.

Comment

interesting question but it won't get out of the conjecture stage. No 100/200 type sprinters would venture to 800 except in a nightmare, and no pure 800 types ever have or would waste their time or risk injury by trying to blast a 100. The 400/800 types would be the closest a la Juanto, Whitfield and Harbig but then again the 100 is/was never-never land to them ( Oops! That's Michael Jackson's house !! )

To boost his image perhaps Michael should host a kiddie Track & Field Meet ! Now THAT'S an idea !

Comment

100m yes, 800m I'm not convinced. We had a thread on this a few months ago and the general concensus was that MJ was not likley to have been a sub 1:45 guy. Too heavily loaded with fast twitch muscle fibers for the extra lap.

Comment

Obea Moore probably had the potential.

Comment

Here is a an interesting answer:

Edwin Moses probably would have been very close on both sides. Not sure he would have gotten either standard but he would have been very close to each.

Comment

I firmly believe that Moses could have broken 10.50. I agree that the 800 part is less certain.

Comment

I remeber reading that Edwin Moses ran the 800 in 1:49 or better, strictly off of 400 meter hurdle training.

Here is a guy who exhibited the kind of range that you are talking about in high school.
                    Has anyone ever heard of Anthony Ketchum from Needville, TX? If you have not here is my synopsis of his story.

Anthony qualified for the Texas state meet during all 4 of his years in high school. Even more remarakable is the range that he exhibited.
                    Check out these times for a high school kid...
                    100M - 10.3
                    200M - 20.7
                    400M - 45.8
                    800M - 1:52

Anthony went on to play football at the University of Houston and I think that he is now coaching somewhere.

Comment

I remember talking to Darrel Robinson in Indy after he ran his HS record 44.89 ( close I think)losing to Sunder Nix( 1982 ?) and he told me how excited he was to be going to Houston so he and Ketchum could run the "Mile Relay" together.

And that is the last time I ever heard or remember hearing Ketchum's name. Did he do anything at Houston after that ? Maybe I should know but I'm drawing a blank.

Comment

Why not? If a woman can run 11.09/1:53.48, I'd exect to find a man with comparable range.

Comment

Sorry, make that 1:53.28.

Comment

<Why not? If a woman can run 11.09/1:53.28, I'd exect to find a man with comparable range.>

Incredible, I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't checked out the "statistics" myself! And not at radically different parts of the career. The 100 in 1981 and the 800 in 1983.

Comment

I seen on websites that El Guerrouj
                              800m & 100m PR's were;
                              1m:47.18s & 10.83s respectively.

Comment

Working...
                              X