Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inside the Mind of Carolina Klüft Ahead of Osaka

"It's hard because the pressure grows all the time. Next month I go to Osaka for the world championships and the questions start all over again. I will be asked how I will feel if I finally get beaten. I will be reminded that I haven't lost [in] 18 competitions in a row. For some athletes this would be a good pressure. It would inspire them to say, well, I'm going to win No19 now. But everyone's different. For me it's a very bad pressure when I'm made to think about it too much.

"Five years is a long time and so people are curious to know what I think. But it becomes difficult for me. It just helps that when I train here [at Varendsvallen, her secluded camp near the town of Vaxjo, a 30-minute drive from Gothenburg] I don't go, 'Oh no, I have to keep winning!' That would be crazy if I had those words in my head, going blah-blah-blah all the time. I would just quit then."
    "Right now my heart tells me that after the Olympics I might break from the heptathlon and focus on one event. The long jump is the obvious one but I also like the triple jump and even the 400m hurdles. I would like to pick one and concentrate on that. The pressure will be different and that must be good. But I can change my mind and go on in the heptathlon.
    http://sport.guardian.co.uk/athletics/s ... 20,00.html

If she's beaten, I definitely don't think Sotherton will be the one to do it.

Comment

Just makes me love this girl even more-I can really relate to much of what she says.
      Thanks for posting that Epelle.

What would we do without you? 8)

Comment

Originally posted by Stu
        If she's beaten, I definitely don't think Sotherton will be the one to do it.
        For sure not. She is a good athlete, but my God her javelin may be the worst ever. 28 meters her last comp? What is going on? Perhaps Mick Hill isn't the guy to show her the ropes?

Comment

Working...
        X